Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Chapter Two [Autumn]: Session Nine



Session IX: 101214 – 102514: Looking over the first session in this chapter I realize that these posts might be tedious and overly charted. Looking at the stats of this blog, it seems that there are more eyes on it than just mine. Hopefully you are getting something out of it, whether it’s inspiration, ideas or basic ways to track your progress.

Success in fitness/weight/physique management employs the same strategies as success in business or sports or dating for that matter. Basically, you set a goal – where you want to be, establish your starting point, gather and organize your techniques and start working towards that goal. One of the most beneficial strategies is to measure and chronicle your progress. I’ve coached people who don’t like scales so they don’t weight themselves, (they track their progress in other ways, such as the way their clothes fit, or how much further/longer they can run.) Some people like to count calories others feel it’s too time consuming, in spite of the statistics that suggest people who count calories are more successful at losing weight. When I was counting calories, I lost weight. [I still have the journals from the calorie-counting months.]

As I construct this fitness lifestyle program and this blog, the tables, charts, images and videos will be included in the services that I provide for my future clients. I do it for me, so I can do it for you.

During the course of my fitness lifestyle (pre-career and to this day) I can honestly say I have not ever seen exercise NOT WORK for people who wanted to gain strength, lose weight, improve their physiques, increase their endurance and increase their self confidence & self esteem.

Personally, keeping a journal (probably because I am a writer) and keeping track and measuring progress (because I’m a closet nerd) help maintain my discipline. Every morning since I began the 90 day makeover, I have told myself “I must get up and do my cardio exercises,” every day. No skipping, no being too tired, no excuses. On weak days I don’t go as hard as normal, but so far I haven’t skipped a day. Conversely, on strong/energetic days  I’ll push the cardio to nearly an hour (56 minutes as been the max so far.)

So let’s get into Session IX and see what the Autumn brings.

101214 [Sunday #116] - Waning Gibbous in Gemini – Session 9 of Bootcamp, Week 8/Day 50 of the physique makeover. Milestones day – sort of. I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night for the past few nights. Probably need to get more sleep. Awakened by the alarm and hit the snooze, then 15 minutes more. Reminded myself it was Day 50 and got 31 min cardio done.

It doesn’t get easier and then again it does – if that makes sense. It’s routine now and I can’t (well I can but it doesn’t seem right) imagine not exercising when I wake up.

185.6 – 18 – 60 – 42.7 -  Two rounds, first round was a beast. Might be the juice that’s making me so badass. Still just doing shots, but missed one this AM. Might be better than ACV

Made it to the Y. strong back, some chest, biceps and the dreaded incline sit ups although I did better this time. It was an unregimented workout and towards the end realized I should be lifting my body upwards (ribcage/scapulae) before I do a standing exercise. DUH, still learning. Been a while since this type of workout, maybe for tomorrow, light chest. I’m off from work so maybe longer cardio… and??? Park? Who knows?

Apple before bed. Did juice too.

101314 [Monday #117] - Waning Gibbous in Gemini – slept in. tried to get up at 0500 but it didn’t happen. Right nostril stuffy. 46 minutes cardio – deep squats, slow low reps. Deep pushups, using small dumbbells to increase the range/stretch. Second half with gloves and double ankle weights.

184.4 – 17.4 – 60.4 – 49.2 – Better numbers. I’m wondering if this is a pattern. Numbers stay solid until midweek – actually until “rest day,” maybe Wednesdays and Thursdays should be more active. Maybe this week. Maybe I should eat more on those days also.

Bike ride/walk to the burbs. Just enough to sweat… regular clothes and back pack, Mad Mex for brunch. Portabella salad, then YGX and spin later.

Supercharged @ Spin. Must be the soundtrack. FF was strong too, but made me delirious… maybe that’s why spin was so awesome. Maybe I should burn myself out before every class, (or it could be acclimation.)

101414 [Tuesday #118] - Waning Gibbous in Cancer – Alarm goes off and I try to sleep for an extra hour… didn’t seem like I got any – but then, that dream. Xave (as a baby) standing on a rocking chair and falling off. Now that I think of it, it may have been Stazja that did that.

Finally got up – 31 minutes cardio. Nothing difficult, worked the deep pushups again, but not as much as yesterday.

184.4 – 19 – 59.2 – 42.1 – Same weight, numbers up, despite yesterday’s activity. I think it’s a hydration issue. Double at TUX today.

RIP Mrs. Owens – I think the foot weakened me. I was or felt sluggish in TGX – but got compliments from on the class. 1 person in aqua box, midterms coming. Lower body is sore.

101514 [Wednesday #119] – Last quarter (Half Moon) – Cancer – woke with the headache that started yesterday. Not even TGX could vanquish this one. I think it was the fried chicken or the whole meal. My system can no longer take it, I suppose. Felt like I didn’t sleep, but have vivid dreams. Nose was clear though.

31 cardio, through the headache. Impact aggravated it. Did some floor work and quasi-yoga, still got a pretty good sweat.

184.4 – 17.8 – 60.1 – 42.7 -  Should do some lifting today Wednesdays have been rest days and I pay on Thursdays with higher #s (in the wrong places) – so note to self;  hydrate and lift, even if it’s at home.

Beans cheese for bkft, ACV, tea – the headache is still lingering @ the gig, but has subsided.

101614 [Thursday #120] - Last quarter – Cancer – Woke up. I think it was the alarm. Slept very well. No music. It was raining, I was up later. I worked out. Not sure which element, or the combination contributed.

31 cardio. Floor work w/ ankle weights (2x), after the warm up. Not very vibrant, but got the job done. Lamb beans cheese for breakfast. ACV & tea after the work.

184.4 – 17.5 – 60.3 – 42.9: steady improvement. Last week the digits went wild, so maybe I got over a hump.

Two good rounds, but round 3 looks shaky. Trying to decide b/w the Y or Temple for shoulders, traps, tris & bis. Maybe ad calves who knows? Not very crowded Thursdays @ 1500. Mini Happy
w/ wildcat afterwards [1730] –iced tea or water, or something light. Looks like I’m heading into the weekend on a good course. Finishing up week 8 and moving into the final third of the project. Round 3 worked out.

Went to the Y for shoulders, traps, tris & bis… good stuff. Update later. Oh yeah, emergency pretzel. Not a cheat day… a cheat moment.

The WORK:
 
Seated barbell presses started with the bar and moved up to 25 lbs each side. [same weight I do for incline bench, hmmm].
EZ Bar upright row – about 25 lbs on each side I think.
Dips 2 sets.
Close grip barbell presses. Start 25 each max 45s each. [it got heavy.]
EZ bar standing curls… same weight about 25 lbs, 3 sets… media elbow pain – that same pain that keeps me from doing heavy curls.
Bent deep back flies: 30s 3 sets
Front raises & dumbbell curls
Supinated  shoulder raises 8 lbs.

Mussels and a few fries w/ wildcat. Then some stretching and off to noddingham.

101714 [Friday #121] – Waning Crescent in Leo – slept in. day off sick. Woke clear but runny left nostril later. Oh well. Needed the rest. 31 cardio. Burpees focused – coming back. second round is often a LOT stronger than the first.

184.4 – 17.6 – 60.3 – 42.8  on a plateau, but not mad about being under 185 lbs.

Chest is tight again going up the stairs. Whazzupwidat? Maybe get some chest work on today. Learn the discipline of dropping the weight and get the reps in, a la Frank.

3 Rounds; Good 30 minutes chest and biceps, forearms @ the Y. Made me wonder if I can get 3, 30 minute workouts in a day. AM cardio, maybe some lifting after work, the regular classes and some body weight, static holds, stretching, balance in before bed. Let’s see how that works out next week. About to finish week 8. Maybe I’ll get something in tonight.

Evening work: Shoulder holds. Semi crow balance on the iron gym.

101814 [Saturday #122] – Waning Crescent in Leo – wake up with the alarm and wanted to go back to sleep, but fought through the grogginess… sometimes it takes a few minutes.

31 minutes cardio – focused on front and back lunges and 2 sets of plank-jack-pushups (or push up jacks).

184.4  -  17.6 – 60.3 – 42.8 -  The numbers have been steady all week, which I think is better than radical fluctuations. Not mad, but not excited either. This is a plateau week.

Short & strong legs at Temple:

Front Squats: 135 start: 145-155-175. Not the proper form with my arms/hands, but it’s about how deep I can go – hold and get back up. [and how much I can hold on my shoulders.] each set was 4 reps, maybe 5 maybe 3… I tried to get at least 4.

Deadlifts [Romanian, straight legged]: 155 x 8 warm up. Then 4 sets 265 lbs, 3 reps each. This was actually about form and short-term strength.

Sled Press: start 318 warm up – 518 good reps – 718 2 sets of 3 – 4 reps. [this is when it gets heavy and seemed heavier than last week. Calf presses in between.

Done in 30 minutes. Banana and salmon salad @ Broad St. diner after. [Pic]

What to do tonight? Wall sits, 2 point planks – bridges?
I didn’t do any of this stuff. Had a protein shake w/ creatine, piddled around for a while and went to bed early. No matter that it’s Saturday night…

Day
Sunday
10-12
Monday
10-13
Tuesday
10-14
Wednesday
10-15
Thursday
10-16
Friday
10-17
Saturday
10-18
Ave.
Weight
185.6
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.5
Body Fat
18
17.4
19
17.8
17.5
17.6
17.6
17.8
H2O
60
60.4
59.2
60.1
60.3
60.3
60.3
60
Muscle mass
42.7
42.9
42.1
42.7
42.9
42.8
42.8
42.7

Actual weights: Body Fat 32.8 lbs.: H2O 110.7 lbs: Muscle Mass 78.8

Actual weight of Body Fat/H2O/Muscle Mass – weekly average 2014
(Lbs.)
9-06
9-13
9-20
9-27
10-04
10-11
10-18
10-25
11-01
Body Fat
34.3
34.5
33.4
33
34.3
33.6
32.8


H2O
111.2
110.7
112
112.25
111.1
110.3
110.7


Muscle Mass
79.1
78.4
79
79.6
79
79.4
78.8



Muscle mass is down! Annoyed about that, but overall body weight and body fat is down also. Need to get the muscle mass up, so perhaps more protein during the week. If I can remember, week 9, daily post-cardio protein supps. And more muscle development exercises at home. Just reps, no large poundages.

101914 [Sunday #123] - Waning Crescent in Virgo – Extra sleep on the front end. I nodded about 2000! Woke up well, but still went for the snooze. I find it’s a good idea/beneficial to have a swig or two of water right after I get up. This may be a ‘DUH’ moment, but sometimes we forget the obvious.

31 minutes cardio – low game. 2 sets of 100 mountain climbers – woke up my back and other stuff. Also used the bands for punching. Upper body felt worked, legs felt worked also from legs day.

184.4 – 16.9 – 60.8 – 43.2 -  got excited about these numbers although they are not (probably) the best. Took BMI today 25.72 which is technically still overweight. I started at 26.8, at the beginning of the 90 day thing. I get excited when the body fat dips below 17%, even if it’s .1 and when MM goes above 43%. I also get nervous because I wonder what I did to achieve this and worry about going in the opposite direction. Can I stay in the 16s (body fat) this week?

Pork, beans, lentils, cheese for breakfast. Tea of course. And banana for second breakfast at the gig. Trail mix is coming next – and maybe another salad at white dog.

I may be able to exercise @ the gig today. Work the wall sit and other balance stuff. Get me out of my chair today.

Left nostril still runny and needs to be emptied from time to time. I think daywork makes me more susceptible. There are people sniffing all around here – all [seemingly] the time.

Short bouts today, maybe 3. Off to the Y for back & upper, upper torso… 30 minutes. Stay focused! BB row, incline press & and pull ups… looks like about ten minutes each. . . should be able to get another one in there I think; either shrugs or flys. Had hot chocolate for lunch. Got a salad left too.

YMCA – Front Back
First of all pre-workout (creative and beta alanine) on an empty stomach. Stingle was in full effect. Took BCAA’s after and post-workout salad. Round 6 looking like a no-show, lots of bluster, dancing around but no punch – ok, a little bit.

The WORK:

Bent Barbell row 3 sets of 2 parts, front grip & reverse grip. 140 lbs, 6 sets total… 8 – 10 reps each.

Incline bench – bar warm up progressed from 120 lbs to 130 to 140 lbs… short powerful sets of 3 reps and some barely got to three. So I’m coming back, shoulders held up.

Pull ups on the smith wide grip, deep dip, legs up… 3 sets 6, 4, 4 done in 30 minutes.

I’m ready to get my strength back, so one week will be light weights & reps the next will be heavy weights, low reps. Not just for the make-over, but the duration of Bajai Bootcamp.

Mussels, good conversation and iced teas @ white dog. Then phone issues … to bed at freekin’ midnight.

102014 [Monday #124] - Waning Crescent in Virgo  Just shut off the 0400 alarm and went back to sleep for 4 more hours. Woke at 0800-ish… fiddled with the phone (ended up switching it out to a flip I got a year ago.) 31 minutes cardio. Used a countdown timer from the net. Focused on burpees – they got stronger the more sets I did. 1 & 2 were okay @ 10 reps. 3 & 4 were more dynamic @ 5 reps each.

184.4 – 17.6 – 60.3 – 42.8 – okay, so I ate out & had a protein drink after the half hour weights session. Could be any combination, but these numbers aren’t bad – just above (fat) and below (mm) my benchmarks. Y double today then Temple, so I’d better get my shish together. I can probably lift something on these days. Oh!! Yeah, both movement classes include lifting… DUH!

Chilled around the house. Hung with Tony on the stoop… much cooler than words can describe. Seems like no time lost.

YMCA double was good. Legs-centric, I don’t remember feeling tired, but I do more coaching and demo’ing than working out (except spin class). Back to the gig tomorrow – the alarm on the old phone should still work. I should drink the juice in a week, 10 days most.

102114 [Tuesday #125] - Waning Crescent in Virgo – The alarm on the old phone still works… so that’s its role. Opened my eyes at nearly 0300… sleep wasn’t easy cuz I was amped. Managed to sleep until 0400 wake up and be strong! I knew I was dehydrated – caught legs cramps over night, but nothing serious. I still drink too much tea on days off.

31 minutes cardio – mostly leg/hip openers. I don’t go hard on Tuesdays because it comes between my double days. Practiced alternating 2-point planks.

184.4 – 16.6 – 60.3 – 42.8 – had to weigh in after the shower. I was too dehydrated to get a reading earlier. Temple double today.

At day 59 I’m already thinking about what comes next. I’m leaning towards 30+ days of yoga, even if I have to do sun salutations over and over again. I might try 30 minutes, but will allow myself 20+1.

BTW 1 round  and an awesome cheese, mushroom and avocado omelet for bkft.

Both Cardio sculpt and aqua box were exciting and strong. There’s a lot of energy in the room during Cardio sculpt. We did things a little differently today, but next week I want to remember to employ the mats for jumps and rolls.  I may have done some stretching before bed. I think this was the first night.

102214 [Wednesday #126] - Waning Crescent in Libra – Had to fight the knowledge that I didn’t have to be anywhere until 0900 – rolled out of bed at 0400. Got the 31 minutes cardio done, despite being sore from yesterday’s classes and last night’s stretching, which I actually managed to do, but didn’t time it. Easing my way into doing the yoga. Weigh in after the cardio, which was sluggish, btw. Didn’t take… too dehydrated…. So, post shower… again. Maybe it’s the weather, or maybe something else. I think it’s the tea… but… not really going to do much about that. BTW – too much sugar in the tea!! Back off, or measure, or both!!

Okay, yeah.. It’s day 60!!

185.2 – 17.5 – 60.3 – 42.9 – not much difference, but I’m off the plateau in the ‘wrong’ direction, yet I’ve noticed after I have a plunge, I have a rise and after an elevation, which has been the case during this session, there is a drop. I have learned not to anticipate… or at least not to expect. Either of three will happen; another plateau, a rise, or a plunge. I’m ready for either.

30 days to go.EEO class today.. NOW!! I think I can get to the Y after this for machine legs and shins.

102314 [Thursday #127] – New Moon in Libra – Rainy and cold. Fall showers. Fighting through the grog – woke with the alarm although I was awake earlier. Maybe it’s me… I did manage to stretch legs before bed. It’s not a routine yet, but getting there.

36 minutes cardio today. Low game and burpees. Consistently that first set of burpees is discouraging, but set two is stronger. Many mountain climbers – some pushups, and leg curls with ankle weights (double). Stretch out a bit, done day 61. I can feel the hamstring muscle array, especially the muscle at the top, taking shape; growing, becoming more prominent. [pic]

186.2 – 17.8 – 60.1 – 42.7 – Numbers stayed consistent, weight increased, so this is probably food and the protein drink from last night. We will see how this plays out. I’m thinking hit the Y today for a chest/back half hour – more focus on chest. Then Temple legs Friday, maybe I’ll allow myself more than 30 minutes today and tomorrow, since nothing’s pending. Got to get ready for Phoenix and week 10. (weighed in after the shower, tea & cardio)

Three rounds so far, under the norm.. what’s different?

YMCA – all Chest

Incline dumbbell presses 2 sets @ 50 (100 lbs0 and 2 @ 60 (120 lbs). I may have maxed out at the Y, unless I want to use shoddy equipment. So either more reps at the Y or higher weights at Temple.

Decline press [smith, no cable] – bar warm ups, 25 for 2 sets and 30 lbs each side. It’s impossible to gauge the exact weight on this machine. With the cable attached is less than without, etc. I felt it nonetheless.

Flat dumbbell flies 40s… 4 sets 8-12 reps.

Peck deck – 120 (Cable machine) 4 sets good reps. Felt it.

Definitely stronger, the 60 lb dbs went up surprisingly easy. The shoulders held up.

Emergency pizza slice of mushroom down 6-9. I won’t get hooked. It was a necessary post-workout meal. It served its purpose. I may be free of food as an emotional crutch. Walked back from 6-9. Stretches, legs and twists, avocado and cheese. Late home run action, which is very unusual. Two cups of tea, one just before bed…

That is all.



102414 [Friday #128] – New Moon in Scorpio – The alarm 0400 – interrupted a bizarre dream in which I was about to be exposed as the perpetrator of a crime, because of a bloody (or muddy) pair of sneakers someone happened to find to use as a costume. There’s the Halloween angle, as well as the wet sand I got on my sneaks while walking across a wet baseball field yesterday.

Anyway, after deciding not to try and get back to sleep I got out of bed, pretty strong, not too groggy – took my heart rate after about ten minutes of being awake 58 BPM I try to keep it under 60.

36 minutes cardio with deep squat twists, second half with ankle weights on my arms – lots of running in place and shadow boxing with the weights. Body was sore to begin with from stretching. (I probably should be running outside at this point. My excuse is the time factor. Much easier to come right out of bed and into the workout, although I could run at some other point in the day.)

ACV, cup of tea, shower and weigh in. one round, the bouts are coming earlier and later – wonder what’s up.

186.2 – 17.6 – 60.3 – 42.8 – numbers are slightly better. They seem to move together in a pattern. BF goes down a point or two H2O & MM go up. I’m over-thinking this; it’s just a guide. I’m wondering if something like 15.6 – 62.3 – 44.8 is possible. What I don’t want is body fat to take over muscle mass. I don’t mind being “heavy” (about 25 BMI) or massive, as long as it’s predominantly muscle.

#2 – ding-ding – Body is sore. Legs are sore, inner thighs – probably from the stretching – but they need this!!

#3 – Thinking today should be back day @ Temple…maybe light legs or calves. Upper, inner thighs are sore!!

Late entry – stir fry, pork, mushrooms, spinach for breakfast. Probably the normal turkey salad from the regular spot for lunch.

I can go light. There’s nothing keeping me from pushing light weights many times.

Bought extra food for the workout and the appetite couldn’t finish lunch. Hmmm, wonder why I’m not very hungry. Big breakfast? Got trail mix left too.

Ego says train. Body says rest. No ego, is my mantra. I’m going to miss another Friday at Temple, but I probably won’t get injured.

Had to go back into town to retrieve the lunch I left at the gig. Met up with Brandi & Alena at Café. Munched on some fries and drank iced tea. Got to bed just after 2300.

102514 [Saturday #129] – Waxing Crescent in Scorpio – woke minutes before the alarm and tried to get the time back (snooze) but… no matter. To “dry” for wake up weight.

31 minutes cardio – ACV – tea, shower then weigh in.

186.2 – 18.2 – 59.8 – 42.5 -  not bad, but this is what I get when I indulge – further away from where I want to be.

It’s the end of week 9. I may be getting a little burned out. Because of the gig I’m training before sunrise, but I can get my cardio done any time, although morning seems more beneficial.

It’s a travel day. There’s a gym at the hotel. Maybe I’ll get some lifting in, in the afternoon.
Ate more bread today than I have all month. Travel ‘compensations.’


Day
Sunday
10-19
Monday
10-20
Tuesday
10-21
Wednesday
10-22
Thursday
10-23
Friday
10-24
Saturday
10-25
Ave.
Weight
184.4
184.4
184.4
185.2
186.2
186.2
186.2
185.2
Body Fat
16.9
17.6
17.6
17.5
17.8
17.6
18.2
17.6
H2O
60.8
60.3
60.3
60.3
60.1
60.3
59.8
60.2
Muscle mass
43.2
42.8
42.8
42.9
42.7
42.8
42.5
42.8

Actual weight of Body Fat/H2O/Muscle Mass – weekly average 2014
(Lbs.)
9-06
9-13
9-20
9-27
10-04
10-11
10-18
10-25
11-01
Body Fat
34.3
34.5
33.4
33
34.3
33.6
32.8
32.6

H2O
111.2
110.7
112
112.25
111.1
110.3
110.7
111.5

Muscle Mass
79.1
78.4
79
79.6
79
79.4
78.8
79.2


Total weight loss/weight gain during this year [from June 19, 2014] & balance.
Session
Previous
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
Tots
Gain
43.1
6.8
1.8






Loss
46.5
6.2
1.2






Net

0.6
0.6






Tot.
-3.4
-2.8
-2.2








End of Session 9

No comments:

Post a Comment