Monday, November 10, 2014

Chapter Two [Autumn]; Session 10: 102614 - 110814



Session X:   102614 – 110814: We start Session 10 and Week 10 of the Physique thing at the same time. A nice coincidence. Looking at the chart that tracks the averages – my body fat weight is down 1.7 pounds since September 6, when I got the new scale, but muscle weight is up only .1 lb. It seems like body fat is indeed falling, but not quickly or significantly. But I don’t really know what significantly is… what it means? How much is realistic to expect to lose.

My eating isn’t exactly 100% on point and I have since backed off my exercise sessions to 30 – 45 minutes. Three full weeks to go, then a week off – but probably not – how do I just stop doing what I’ve conditioned my body to do? – or an immediate switch up to morning yoga. So in the final three weeks, there are no trips and no special events planned/scheduled – I may be able t pick up the pace of things somewhat… and eat more strategically.

This session will take us into November too, and that means time to get the doc-numbers checked again.

102614 [Sunday #130] – waxing Crescent  in Sagittarius – Wake Scottsdale Arizona crazy jet lag sleep. Got into the Hotel Indigo gym and worked it out 35 – 40 minutes, eat sweat zodiac protocol [vid] – then continental breakfast, vanilla yogurt, pineapple juice, bagel and cream cheese, tea of course. No weight taken. There was a scale but to hell with it.

Start week Ten & Session X also. Maybe another workout today.

Mini workout in the pool. 20 – 30 minutes or so. Not sure.

Game Day Eagles – Cardinals.

102714 [Monday #131] – waxing Crescent  in Sagittarius  - Anxious sleep. Travel day. Have to postpone the daily cardio until I get back to Philly.  Up at 0400.

1730 – back in Philly. Two priorities, eat and train. Got to get the cardio in. Take a closer look at paleo. How close am I to it already?

3 rounds – not bad for traveling. First meal of the day @ Broad street diner around 1600… more like dinner, but it works.

Maybe I’m more paleo than I think. Recopies?? Nose was runny & phlegm in the throat. Kind of unusual, maybe I’m allergic to philly (or just adjusting to the change in climate.)

31 minutes cardio. Got it in around 2000. Pumped me up. Not sleepy – but should at least rest. Work tomorrow and early cardio & temple double.

Normal cardio routine, but added in 2, 5lb dumbbells for upper body work, punching, raising, running in place, then put ankle wts. On and went thru. It was good and stimulating, plus it keeps the streak alive.

102814 [Tuesday #132] – waxing Crescent  in Sagittarius – The alarm woke me up. Good thing too… I went for the snooze. Got up and into 31 minutes of cardio. Wasn’t too tough. Mostly run in place and boring stuff. Took it easy, esp. after last night’s work with the 5 lb weights. Then came close together.

2 rounds: 186.2 – 17.3 – 60.5 – 43 – Good numbers, surprisingly high. Wonder if it was something I ate, or something I did.

Took cardio sculpt to a new level today and the crew, 90% regulars were up for it. So well conditioned. It was tough, but it was time to take them higher.

Aqua Box was energetic and fun.

7/11 salad after. Maybe I’ll get dinner too. Did most chillin’ afterwards. Quick bowl of beans and cheese before bed.  

102914 [Wednesday #133] – waxing Crescent  in Capricorn -  wake up by the alarm. Got up and went right to the cardio. Legs were a little sore… but got through the 31 minutes.

185.6 – 17.9 – 60.0 – 42.6 – usually the weight drops after Tuesday. I suppose the other numbers adjust as well.

Beans & lamb, spinach & cheese for bkft (& mushrooms).

Level 2; short round of dumbbell work at home before aqua box. Pre work mix – good aqua Box session. Should be a protein drink day (but it wasn’t) but should I lift first? I think I have enough for an evening workout, maybe 30-40 minutes.

Evening workout on the bench, upper, upper body, light weights and band (green). Working the exercises with the opposite grip. Did some incline presses, with front and reverse grip, did band flies with the palms down. I really need to open up and strengthen the upper portion of my body, shoulders, traps, upper back array.

Phone chat with Elise. Bed by 2230, this seems like the ideal time to crash.

103014 [Thursday #134] – waxing Crescent  in Capricorn – I’m getting to bed around 2230, eyes are opening before 0400, how much before I don’t know. I’ve stopped checking the clock. I hit the snooze – got up and got right into it. There’s less time between getting out of bed and starting the AM cardio. 31 minutes today with an emphasis on balance. 2 point planks w/ push-ups in between. Maybe two rounds. That’s when I felt the sweat come. Balance – on legged kicks [back]. the left knee was sore – probably took too many doubles running down the El steps.

185.4 – 18.2 – 59.8 – 42.5 –

Level one. Body is sore, but is it from last night or this morning, or two days ago/ good bkft – lamb beans, spinach, cheese [need to restock]. Amazing what a [seems like] a little effort can accomplish.

I think I made it to level 3 today. Quick recap: Started training with Naila. Just a quick demo of exercises. Then Aqua Box 2 people, but good participants. Almost ate at Cosi, but the cashier was so slow I figured I could get home before I’d get served. So, no tandoori salad for me. I’m better off I think. I made fruit protein drink when I got home. Sat on the floor – started reading about yoga while I worked my shoulders from the floor. I have to break away from the idea that I can lift heavy weights with my shoulders. I should video this routine at some point.

More reading, then sleep.

103114 [Friday #135] – First quarter in Aquarius – Measuring Day – Wake before the alarm. Legs kind of tight, body and shoulders sore… but I love it. Kind of chilly too. Got to level one before I got up good. Got into cardio around 0430. 31 minutes – there were burpees involved and dumbbell work and 2x ankle weight works, plus the usual stuff.

I was able to get numbers right after cardio instead of after the shower for a change. Best numbers, possibly, of the year. Measuring today also, so I whipped out the measuring tape.

I think I did some cool stuff during AM cardio. Lifting and swinging from squat position is pretty cool, I think. Just 5 lbs, but they make a difference. Also holding the weights in unorthodox ways.

183.8 – 16.6 – 61.0 – 43.3 – I am excited, but cautious about these numbers. Ironically, this week I haven’t had a proper lifting workout. I did two short sessions at home in the afternoon and evening. Been eating lamb & beans for breakfast, turkey, spinach, peppers, etc. for lunch and drinking water and tea and eating trail mix. I’m going into the weekend with good numbers and one day off. Massage day coming Sunday and a white dog visit, but nothing that would throw off the trend. I may get to the Y today (or not, meeting in Media), but maybe Temple after work tomorrow… probably for legs. Level two before I left the house.
Here are today’s torso numbers, and compared to last time. [chart]


9-17-14
10-31-14
Top
99cm
99cm
Middle
91cm
90cm
Bottom
95cm
94cm
Under
97cm
96cm


this chart tracks the circumference of my torso, for the last 3 years. ideally the top (blue) line will go higher as the bottom
lines go lower.[The "V" look.] My overall goal is to have everything except the blue line in the 80s range.

I’m pleased. Finally they are moving in the direction I want. The top part can stay where it is or even increase, but everything below, must shrink. I still want these digits in the 80s. we’re knockin on the door with the middle section.

Level 3: Lunch, the usual, but I’ve been packing more food into those dishes. More meat, less greens, peppers, shrooms & tomatoes and staples.

Made that run into Media. Hit up Trader Joe’s for some veggie burgers and chicken breasts for $3 a lb. ok, protein.

Eve work: exotic wt work. Upper back and lats from unusual stances.. almost like yoga weight lifting, using light weights. No more than 20 lbs for big lats row & leg work… down to fives. This can improve my core & balance, I think. Excited!!

NOVEMBER – dayum… already!!

110114 [Saturday #136] -  Waxing Gibbous in Aquarius – November. Slept with Solfeggio mind music playing. Slept to the alarm and actually had to check the date to know what day/date it was. I wanted to forget today was Saturday so I could get up like it was any other day, but I was so concerned that focusing too hard on forgetting would make me remember. I managed to forget.

Damn near fell down the steps, caught myself and had to chill for a few. I’m not sure how I felt about it… not scared, not very angry, it was more like, ‘how-did-that-happen? My LX sweats got under my heel and my left foot slipped out from under me. A good test of reflexes, muscle/body control control and/or quick thinking. No injuries though.

31 min cardio – incorporated light weights into the movements and 1x ankle weights and balance. I should do 2-point planks daily & not necessarily within the cardio.

185-2 – 17.3 – 60.5 – 43 – There was a time I’d be excited about these digits, but now I want better. Isn’t that always the way. Yesterday’s weight drop was one of those periodic things - don’t know what happened, but the weight came right back today. Other indicators returned as well. This won’t affect the average too much.

Level two: Rainy cold day. Maybe I go to the gym today, but probably not. I’ve been getting good results not being in the gym all week. So home work after the gig.

Eve: exotic weight work [video] mostly upper body and the monster. Lamb shrooms, spinach… sort of lunch. Ate bkft at home. Bagel w/ veggie spread 2d bkft & t-mix at work and no lunch. Protein shake after wt work. Sleepy as usual by 21oo.

Day
Sunday
10-26
Monday
10-27
Tuesday
10-28
Wednesday
10-29
Thursday
10-30
Friday
10-31
Saturday
11-01
Ave.
Weight
N/A
N/A
186.2
185.6
185.4
183.8
185.2
185.2
Body Fat
N/A
N/A
17.3
17.9
18.2
16.6
17.3
17.4
H2O
N/A
N/A
60.5
60.0
59.8
61
60.5
60.3
Muscle mass
N/A
N/A
43.0
42.6
42.5
43.3
43
42.8

Average wt; 185.2: ave BF 32.2 lbs.  ave H2o 111.6  MM – 79.2

Actual weight of Body Fat/H2O/Muscle Mass – weekly average 2014
(Lbs.)
9-06
9-13
9-20
9-27
10-04
10-11
10-18
10-25
11-01
Body Fat
34.3
34.5
33.4
33
34.3
33.6
32.8
32.6
32.2
H2O
111.2
110.7
112
112.25
111.1
110.3
110.7
111.5
111.6
Muscle Mass
79.1
78.4
79
79.6
79
79.4
78.8
79.2
79.2


110214 [Sunday #137] – Waxing Gibbous in Pisces – After hitting the snooze twice, I just turned it off. Didn’t bother to get out of bed until 0700 standard time, which is about 10 hours sleep.

Slept with solfaggio vibes on and wondering if that had anything to do with the mild headache I had when I finally got up (and still have) – or was it too much sleep.

Many bizarre dream sequences – not necessary to relate them here. Maybe some other time/book/blog.

46 Cardio: burpees – they were strong but not many. Squats with weights, two rounds of eat sweat, then used the bands, small weights, 1 angle wts – round 3 with 2x ankle wts. 2 point plank balance, fight on the back… a good variety.

184.4 – 16.9 – 60.8 – 43.2 – like the numbers but still want better [I’m willing to work for it too,] of course. Had to double take the scale, it wanted to give me yesterday’s weight. Got lazy scale syndrome already.

2 cups of tea – big breakfast, lamb, shrooms, egg, pepper & onions… Maybe make the Y although doubtful. Massage and appt w/ Naila today.

Massage was great MT noticed upper body improvement. No painful/sore muscles and no cramps in the calves when I pointed my toes. Got to bed just after 2000, feel like I’m on cruise.

110314 [Monday #138] – Waxing Gibbous in Pisces – Wake at the alarm… cold! Slept with house music. The solfaggio vibes seem to cause me a headache. Maybe my DNA doesn’t need to be adjusted. Anyway after a short pause, I got up strong and did the 31 cardio. Day 72.

Cardio in 3 phases, warm up, plyo- bands & dumbbells. 2x ankle weights and small stretch.

184.4 – 17.3 – 60.5 – 43 -  wrong way but not bad. I think I have to go backwards to improve.
Lentils & CTB for breakfast.

Most of the work day was lax and lull, as usual and not much energy. Afternoon I seemed to get energetic. Always ready to hit the Y though.
Level 3 good bouts too. Wonder why the morning trot up the El steps is stronger than the afternoon.

Two energetic, strong classes at the Y. felt good after classes as well. Level 4 or maybe 5 – Gibbous moon in Pisces? Does the body cleanse itself shortly before the full moon? Haven’t noticed this before, except when I needed it. No food b/w work and YMCA – tea of course, pre-work (just creatine & juice mix) vitamins and supplements [BCAAs after] & trail mix.

Mixed up a bowl of avocado, tomato and cheese, w/ onions and stuff for de facto dinner and then nodded around 2230. This time I set up a play list that started with 4 hours of relaxing vibes then when into down tempo and a little more up, down tempo to wake up to. I think maybe the solfaggio vibes cause a conflict between getting up and staying in bed – which might be the source of the headache. Just a theory – and I’m going to stick with it until a better one comes along.


110414 [Tuesday #139] – Waxing Gibbous in Aries – I’m awake before the alarm these mornings. In fact most mornings, this is nothing new. I open my eyes and wait for the alarm to ring, or go back to sleep until it does. It’s unknown how much before, I never look – maybe I should. But would it change anything if I did? Bizarro Dream: I was kissing someone, very unexpected. Someone I guess I’ve been holding back feelings for. There are some candidates, but I don’t remember the face. Maybe it was someone I haven’t even met yet. Hit the snooze, and got up. Otherwise waking was uneventful.

31 cardio – Most of the warm up was with 5 lbs dumbbells. Running in place and boxing, moving the arms against the weight as I run, jump, etc. Holding the weights in different ways and trying to hold them laterally while I do other work. Put the balance component in the mix, ‘pterodactyl’ I like to call it, but sometimes I just let the weight hang in front. I feel it – or something from yesterday maybe – in my upper back. Level 1; started early. I think I may have had ACV yesterday but not today.
184.4 – 17.7 – 60.2 – 42.7 -

Vegetarian breakfast today, lentils, beans, cheese, shrooms.  

Up 3 levels at the gig – normal lunch. Got up for Temple double and CS was strong. Aqua was personal training. Chill tonight… it’s chill night Tuesday.

110514 [Wednesday #140] – Waxing Gibbous in Aries – It wasn’t particularly difficult getting out of bed this morning – I just didn’t want to do it. Hit the snooze – got my shish together and got the 31 minutes cardio done. First half, keeping the 5 lb dumbbells in hand – different grips, different motions, different movements while running in place or jumping. I was the five pounds to feel like nothing – so I will probably work it like this for the next 16 days!!

184.4 – 17.9 – 60 – 42.6 – don’t like the was these numbers are going, but can’t explain why they are moving like this. H2O is the key. Maybe I didn’t have enough. Weight is holding steady and the “Look” is coming together. I can feel the upper body changing. I was pumping out pushups fairly easily at cardio-sculpt… need to keep this up. Ironically I haven’t lifted heavy weights in over a week. I can either keep this regimen and cruise to the end of the 90.. or go back and forth… maybe get some lifting in this weekend.

Also may go back to vegan-esque eating when I start yoga… probably after Thanksgiving… black Friday to Christmas? About 30 days I think.

Moving furniture at the gig today. Fruit for lunch, filling… fruit protein drink @ home and tea before Aqua Box.

Strong energetic Aqua Box session – despite the weather. I’m always up for it. ?Tonight?

Chores… and some thoracic back stretches. Proper dinner featuring chicken breast, mushrooms, spinach et al. 

110614 [Thursday #141] – Full Moon in Taurus  - I don’t really wake up sleepy – but I don’t wake up excited either. It’s just kind of neutral. I listen for the music. I think I’ve got the playlist down pretty well now. Earth frequency for two hours, to get to sleep. Then down tempo through the night and wake to some chill out. (I should probably wake to a deep house set.) I’m thinking of adding a couple hours of classical during REM sleep, or what/when I think REM sleep will kick in. I’m sleeping about 6-7 hours a night, and that seems right. Any more is too much and headaches come.

Vivid, lucid, Bizarro Dreams nearly every night. This one reminded me of a scene from The 12 Monkeys. Someone called my name and I tried to hide, but my buddy told me I should answer up. I remember a bit more details, but I won’t relate them here.

31 Cardio – I’m simply resigned to it now. No effort, no resistance. I like it. The “normal’ routine w/ five pound dumbbells added. Run-in-place, half jacks, shadow box for the first half then add 1 ankle wt to each leg, do balance stuff, kicks, etc… I’m still working on loosening up the scapulae/shoulders area and it’s having some aesthetic results as well.  I still feel the weight, but it’s early yet. I can imagine picking up five pounds of anything and feeling  like it weights half of that. It may also take the first five lbs off of anything else I lift. Can I take it to 8 lbs? if so, how long will it take??  Also thoracic component to the circuit.

184.4 – 16.9 – 60.8 – 43.2 -  The numbers bounced back. YAY!! Not sure how or why, maybe the protein drink and chicken dinner? There might be a delay, also. Maybe I get to pump some iron this eve. Meet with Naila after work for training, then ???? So if I don’t go tonight I hit it tomorrow and maybe meet up with Frank.

I think I just chilled out, can’t really remember what I did. I should have logged it, but oh well.

110714 [Friday #142] – Full Moon in Taurus  - Slept in, 2 hrous. 31 cardio, low game – burpees & mt climbers, no extra weight. Beans & chicken for bkft, tea of course – weight in.

184.4 – 16.9 – 60.8 – 43.2 – same as yesterday. Happy but suspicious of scale, and I want better results. Although results are not necessary for success… maybe I fool myself that this is a let’s-see-what-happens project. But if I didn’t get results, I’d have to try something else.

YMCA – 30 minutes

Front Squats – 140 lbs 3 sets 3-4-5 reps. I feel like I lost a lot of strength, but also that it’s in there and when I get back to proper weights work, the strength I need will be there.

Incline dumbbell press – 45s 4 sets, 10 or close to it.

Dead lifts 140 4 sets close to ten –

I was not in the mood… feel weak from te cardio and not lifting regularly. That will change after turkey day. The plan, daily yoga, lifting for power, strength and endurance.

Shopping now – walk back from the market 30 minutes, slow twitch muscle work.

Protein fruit drink & eggs, quasi-omelet, sleepy maybe a nap? Hmmm.

Crashed on the mat. Out for dinner at Kraftwork (Jackie) w/ the Llama – ate fries, but shouldn’t be too bad. Feel like exercising before bed – maybe stretches?? Not!

110814 [Saturday #143] – waning Gibbous in Gemini – Dismissed the idea of getting up at 0400. Restless sleep despite the playlist. I did have vivid dreams though. I never – ver rarely know I’m dreaming. I have all the emotions and restrictions I’d have during this “real” plane of existence. Maybe I need to ‘wake up’ in my dreams. Anyway, that nap may have had something to do with it.

36-cardio – with the 5 lbs. added ank wts 1x, standing leg raises, getting better 30 reps each.

185.4 – 17.1 – 60.6 – 43.1 – off .2 across the board, but off the plateau. The pound can either be traced to the fries, or maybe even the protein drink – post workout yesterday.

YMCA – Old school Spa Day

Spa Day – Five body weight exercises, ladder style 6 to 1 then 1 to 6 –
Squats, pushups, pull ups, dips, decline sit ups (on lat pull machine). Weight added to reps during the count up. 15 lbs added to pull ups and dips, 18 lb body bar to squats. Dropped to 12 lbs after 3rd set of pulls & dips. Took about 30 – 35 minutes. Easier than I expected. Probably should have started at 8s… next time. Need to make the pushups tougher, maybe on the ball or plyo. Add handstand pushups or pulses. Shoulders are strong. Did a wall handstand. Felt pretty confident & comfortable. Now, what to do with the rest of the day?


Day
Sunday
11-02
Monday
11-02
Tuesday
11-04
Wednesday
11-05
Thursday
11-06
Friday
11-07
Saturday
11-08
Ave.
Weight
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
184.4
185.4
184.5
Body Fat
16.9
17.3
17.7
17.9
16.9
16.9
17.1
17.2
H2O
60.8
60.5
60.2
60
60.8
60.8
60.6
60.5
Muscle mass
43.2
43
42.7
42.6
43.2
43.2
43.1
43

Actual weight of Body Fat/H2O/Muscle Mass – weekly average 2014
(Lbs.)
9-06
9-13
9-20
9-27
10-04
10-11
10-18
10-25
11-01
11-08
Ave.
Body Fat
34.3
34.5
33.4
33
34.3
33.6
32.8
32.6
32.2
31.7
33.2
H2O
111.2
110.7
112
112.2
111.1
110.3
110.7
111.5
111.6
111.6
111.3
Muscle Mass
79.1
78.4
79
79.6
79
79.4
78.8
79.2
79.2
79.3
79.1


Total weight loss/weight gain during this year [from June 19, 2014] & balance.
Session
Previous
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
Tots
Gain
43.1
6.8
1.8
1.0





Loss
46.5
6.2
1.2
0.8





Net

0.6
0.6
0.2





Tot.
-3.4
-2.8
-2.2
-2.0






Analysis – looking at the data, I’m generally pleased. I see improvement, albeit slight improvement. However, since this is my first time keeping such detailed records, I can’t accurately evaluate whether this is normal or not. In fact, this sets the mean and thus becomes normal – it’s a place to start.

My average body fat is 33.2 lbs. (17.2%) I’d like to get this down to below 30 lbs of fat. It may be more of a fantasy than a goal, but 12% body fat seems to appeal to me.

My average muscle mass/weight is 79.1 lbs.  or about 43% more than twice the weight of the fat I’m carrying around. My goal – realistic? – is to add another ten pounds of muscle mass. No time limit. 90 lbs of muscle on a 180 lbs frame… 50% muscle mass appeals to me. How likely is this?? 15% also looks good, for non-competitive types.  How likely am I to put 100 lbs of muscle on a 200 lb frame?? Too much? Weight is still weight and I want to be able to lift it. Let’s see if I can ever get to 90.. or 85!

Ok, let’s wrap this up. Two more weeks of the 90 day thing, then on to something else.

End of Session Ten

No comments:

Post a Comment