Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Chapter Two [Autumn]: Session Eight



The Long Road Back
Chapter II: Autumn    92814 - 122714

Session VIII:  92814 – 101114: Hello Autumn, Summer and I have been good to one another and I am expecting an even better relationship with you; you are my favorite time of year in the northeast. So where do we start? Let’s just continue with the 90 day Physique Makeover and the morning cardio, weight training and classes. It’s become routine by now, and as much as I have written about auto-pilot I still have to remain cognizant; I can’t take breaks or have cheat days. Although I do allow myself to hang out and celebrate with my friends. I guess those are cheat days enough. But still no alcohol.

Chapter One ended on a celebratory note and I am paying for it, in terms of measurements (weight, body fat & muscle mass numbers) as I open this chapter. No matter. At times a little shock to the body (& mind) does it good. It seems that every time in the past 30-something days my weight shot up, it came down lower.

No lofty, complicated goals – just keep doing what I’m doing and observe and document the results. Maybe one change… more photos in this chapter.

92814 [Sunday #102] – Waxing crescent in Scorpio: The mind-body connection got me out of bed and into 31 minutes of cardio, straight through with no stopping. Granted I wasn’t going hard core, but I was well waken by the time I was done. Week 6 of the 90 day physique makeover. This should be 36 days straight of AM cardio. Not completely on auto-pilot (despite previous posts), but damn close. This morning offers strong evidence of that.

188.8 – 18.9 – 59.3 – 42.1: I’m a bit annoyed about the nearly 4 lbs. weight gain. I know it’s only food… I’m “blaming” the Continental salad, but there are other factors as well.

#3 – getting the job done. I think today will either be a break day, home work – or less likely, park or the Y. The Bod is tired and needs rest. Home work might be the most feasible as I can do that any time. The Y closes at 1800 and the sun sets shortly after. Good thing to have weights and stuff at home. I’m also thinking I should start doing more pushups, air squats and semi-handstand pushups… time to test the shoulder.

OH, hummus sandwich and guilty pleasure at lunch time. The carrot cake doesn’t do anything for me anymore. Good, no craving, no addiction.

Sleep won the day. Came straight home and to bed for about 3 hours. Wow, it’s catching up with me.

Project kitchen – clean up & get rid of stuff. I should get back to juicing and get a good stainless steel juicer. Bet I can get it with points, (and a kindle fire too.)

Starting this week I want to add  50 – 100 squats and pushups to AM cardio. Might take me a while to work up my strength, but let’s see what happens. Got to push to another level. I think my shoulders are ready – I know my legs are!

92914 [Monday #103] – Waxing crescent in Sagittarius  - wake 0400: I got plenty of sleep in the last 12 hours, too much if there is such a thing. Lots of complex bizarre dreams which probably reflect my lifestyle. It won’t hurt me to forget them.

Am Cardio 31 minutes, including 100 squats & pushups, nothing else fancy. Run I place, jacks, that sort of thing. No breaks… moving all the time, even to get water.

188.8: 19.9: 58.6: 41.6 – numbers took a dive, but they’ll come back stronger. Just need to get more H2O, fruit and veggies. Get back to juicing or even shakes. I’ve done it in the blender before. I just need to get the stuff and prepare it. It’s harvest time.

YMCA double today. Time for morning tea. Beans lamb, spinach for breakfast. What can I do/eat differently? Probably adding a juice meal will do the trick.

#3 – done work – feeling this morning’s cardio. Knees are achy, but the weather hasn’t changed. Hmmm maybe all the jumping. Y-next.

I need to eat more. 6th week… YGX was intense! Strength spin was awesome. I came back from exhaustion – second wind. I feel some next-level ish coming. Let me figure out what I’ll do tomorrow, (beans lamb before this) – maybe I can skip the pretzel.

93014 [Tuesday #104] – Waxing crescent in Sagittarius - Debated on whether to get up with the alarm or just toss and turn until I decided to get out of bed. It’s funny to me that “sleeping in” is still getting up before sunrise. 0545…

Anyway, 41 mins cardio, pretty much non-stop, including 105 squats & 100 pushups – maybe more – I may have lost count along the way.

185.6: 17.8: 60.1: 42.7 – Got the numbers back to what’s become “normal” – bit I want to make normal 14% body fat: maybe 65% H2O – but not sure whether that’s good or not – and muscle mass 45%. I am 7 days away from the half way point. I’m 6.4 lbs down from t eh start and almost 10 lbs away from 175… which I still question.

Not sure whether to lift today or not. TGX is coming and aqua box. I can get some front squats and shrugs in tomorrow I think. We’ll see. Maybe some Home Work, (between chores) First base, 2 x tea. Pushing breakfast back a few hours.

Best I could manage today was a walk back from 6-9 and a hair chop & get some produce. No chores, no lifting… however TGX is coming up.  Good solid lunch, omelet, shrooms, cheese, spinach, scallions, peppers. YUM! Been doing the vitamins regularly the whole time. Just thought I’d mention this. I may list them at some point. I take a different stack almost every week.

TGX  was even more energetic!! When I stopped worrying about it, the energy came.


OCTOBER 

100114 [Wednesday #105] – First Quarter in Capricorn  - it took a long time to get out of bed this morning. Nose was stuffy and the body was sore. We pushed it yesterday. Finally got and did 51 minutes of AM cardio. 120 squats, 110 pushups – worked!! 2x ankle wts and gloves in the second half. Maybe lift today or not… it’s good to have this option. The 2-on/1-off schedule is blown due to schedule of classes, but the cardio and lifting days [weekends] that I can, is working out, it looks like. Good numbers returned after this weekend.

184.8: 17.2: 60.6 43: -

Actually got a heel to my butt this morning. Call it a first. I am still doing this bow stretch one leg at a time and from a kneeling position, but I’m making progress.

Second base – out in Haverford Township, shopping. Chicken Cesar salad at Manoa Diner… not sure what’s next as far as exercise. Gonna lead aqua box later – Do pushups & dumbbell chest presses work on the same day?

III – a lot of walking today. I don’t walk enough. IV – Aqua box was strong and still energetic afterwards. Got some chest work done before aqaubox. Major enough I guess. Contributes to the cause. The AM cardio makes a BIG difference energy-wise.


100214 [Thursday #106] – First Quarter in Capricorn – woke up. That’s all I can say about it. Got the job done. 36 minutes cardio; 100 squats and pushups. The pushups were tough today but I had to get through it. Got to keep this up for the next 2 – 3 weeks, let’s say. Getting 40 squats in a clip and 30 pushups, slow and strong. So, I want to get to 50, 75, 100 at this tempo, pace and form. No need to rush. Just get stronger!!

184.8: 18.6: 59.5: 42.3 -  Kind of surprised given all the walking yesterday, but no “proper” or intense workout. Sometimes it takes a walking day a while to show up in the numbers. I’m looking for a predictable trend.

II – after 4 days of adding squats & pushups to AM cardio, I don’t feel like pumping iron… or could it be a midterm malaise? Time for a lifting break? I can still do small stuff at home.

Good dinner at moms, fish rice, veggies, H2O to drink. Third base at some point and the run scored before bed. Maybe my body’s calling for a break… just a lift break. Got to keep up the cardio, but it can be adjusted as necessary.

100314 [Friday #107] – Waxing Gibbous in Aquarius – it was a rough one this morning. Woke before the alarm and just kind of chilled before it went off. I thought I was ready, but I guess I just didn’t feel like it – but I got it in. slumped through 31 minutes, including 110 pushups and 100 squats; 2x ankle wts leg curls, straight leg lifts, top & bottom and some crunches. Left knee felt wobbly – time to wrap it again I think.

Noticed the muscle development in the upper quads… rectus femoris (pic). Amazing that I’m building or developing muscle @ this point… or “at my age” – as I often shy away from saying.


186.2 – 18.6 – 59.5 – 42.3 – I find myself trying to explain these numbers, instead of just using them as a guide or a track as to what’s going on. No workout yesterday, aside from the morning cardio & dinner at mom’s; fish, rice, veggies and water.

Work, home, chill, chores… avocadoes, tomatoes, cheese and of course tea.

100414 [Saturday #108] – Waxing Gibbous in Aquarius – Last day of week six. Something’s going on.. woke ahead of the alarm… don’t know how far. My policy is not to check. Just lie there and if I sleep, I sleep. If ot, I lie there until the alarm goes off. Got up at 0400 – 31 minutes cardio, on sore feet with sore toes (nails) my own fault. Still got the 100 squats & pushups. Pushups were very weak and took several sets.

186.2 – 17.9 – 60 – 42.6

Numbers moved in the right direction. It could be the rain, but I’ve felt weak and lethargic all week. It could be from not lifting or lack of fruits and veggies. Must fix that this weekend. Keep remembering/reminding myself about the juice. Today will be the last day that I don’t lift! Week 7 starts tomorrow and I’ll have to push some weight!!

Round one: early, nt bad. I won the round, but it took a toll. BR.
This week’s numbers seem to reflect how I feel. The only, or main difference has been no weight training. Let’s see how next week goes. I’ll hit the midway point on Oct 7… a day before the full moon.

I’m thinking I should go into week 7 as if I’m brand new. Maybe a fresh attitude and I’ll get a jump past 4 or 5 lbs. Worth a try.
Day
Sunday
9-28
Monday
9-29
Tuesday
9-30
Wednesday
10-01
Thursday
10-02
Friday
10-03
Saturday
10-04
Ave.
Weight
188.8
188.8
185.6
184.8
184.8
186.2
186.2
186.4
Body Fat
18.9
19.9
17.8
17.2
18.6
18.6
17.9
18.4
H2O
59.3
58.6
60.1
60.6
59.5
59.5
60
59.6
Muscle mass
42.1
41.6
42.7
43
42.3
42.3
42.6
42.4

Wee k 6 Ave: 186.4 lbs: Body Fat 34.3 lbs.  H2O 111.1: Muscle Mass 79 lbs.

 
90 Fitness Wt. Chart to day 42

100514 [Sunday #109] – Waxing Gibbous in Pisces  - Week 7 begins today! Another hard one today. Seems like there have been a lot of rough ones recently. Today I was awakened by the chimes and I didn’t want to get up, nor do cardio. My middle toe still hurts, which makes running in place painful, so I went gently for 21 minutes… the minimum, but it still counts. The numbers weren’t encouraging either-

186.2 20.2; 58.4: 41.4 – would love to have 44% muscle mass on a “bad” day. Amazingly the weight stayed the same, but we might see that shift tomorrow. First time over 20% Body fat since the new scale (I think). But it’s just food that needs to be metabolized and eliminated. It’s tough, even for a semi-hermit like myself to completely avoid social events for 90s days. Birthday dinner last weekend, wedding this weekend, travel in two weeks. Still the physique is looking improved and I have abstained from alcohol, juice, milk – stuff I don’t normally drink anyway and not drinking beer and booze isn’t that hard, however I did feel like I should have one at the wedding, it was a social feeling – interesting.

Today I promised myself a strong comeback – starting or restarting with legs days at Temple. I have to think mega reps, low weights, although I do want to work with 45 lbs plates on the barbell for the front squats (135 – 145 lbs.)

Got to get the wedding food moving. No beer, no cake, no starches from the wedding.

2 rounds in – very low energy, but it’s the gig. Still getting psyched for legs day. I’m thinking I can do some weigh work after hours… such as before bed; work on shaping the shoulders and deep work in the middle of the back – maybe 30 minutes or so. That might energize me a bit and help me sleep better. I also think I should be eating more. I wonder if a protein shake right after morning cardio will help. Last time I did a daily cardio I gained weight – it was muscle weight (as I know now) – but I wasn’t cutting fat, so I got bulky and clothes stopped fitting right. However, this time – right after cardio – the results might be different. Maybe start this tomorrow AM… Off from work too, so can I follow cardio with a run?? Hmmm… have to wait and see.

TEMPLE LEGS – done deal. Got everything in plus some. Came back stronger today – even though the energy and verve was low. I felt a little soreness in my throat earlier today, so I’d better start battling whatever’s trying to influence my system.

1. leg sled press; started light, plus calf presses between sets.
2. front squats: 135 lbs. 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 reps. I think I can start going for 8s to 10s
3. Seated calf presses – 3 plates + 25 lbs.
4. plate leg extensions – went past the last effort. 45 + 25 lbs on each side. Good reps.
5. standing leg curls, plate – single leg curl 35 lbs. 3 sets around 8 reps.
6. leg extensions, frank style: 190 ish 3 sets 20 – 25 reps.
7. 90 degree angled calf presses, one set low wt, one high wt. 8 reps maybe to finish up.

White dog late for dinner, salad and meat most likely. Bar menu? No bread no beer. Remember! Great dish, much iced tea.

100614 [Monday #110] – Waxing Gibbous in Pisces  - Cramps in my calves over night. Iced tea evacuated. 3 hours extra sleep and once I got myself together, 56 minutes cardio… why not an hour? Good question… maybe next time. Been pushing it up 5 minutes at a time.

Got 3 rounds of Eat Sweat, added ankle weights, gloves and bands, floor work, leg work… it was rough but as always, glad to do it.

185.2 – 16.9 – 60.8 – 43.2 – good recovery, early in the week. Let’s do work.

HOME WORK: Chest and upper body weight work. Informal, incline db presses and middle back stuff, curls, etc.

Headed to the Y for the Monday double. Already had the workout stack and rink for the Home Work. Big omelet for ‘brunch’ … feeling optimistic about these classes.

Made it through… fairly strong. I’m amazed I walk out of the Y after the double. I can just chill tonight.

100714 [Tuesday #111] – Waxing Gibbous in Pisces – day 45/50 half way through. Better step things up!

Slept in – I think it was raining at 0400. The alarm blended in with the music. I am occasionally listening to music when I sleep, again. It’s day 45 – AM cardio done; 36 minutes – 100 squats 9wide0 and 100 diamond pushups, both 5 sets of 20. Yesterday was rough… everyday is rough now. Maybe more sleep, or more food? Protein drink w/ molasses after cardio (remember those?) going to ease this in a few days a week. I think I’ll get different results this time as I am cutting fat from the body, muscle growth will be leaner, more defined and easily identified.

184 – 18 – 60 – 42.6 – the weight is at a low for this process… maybe this year. Strangely fat went up – muscle went down. Did I lose muscle yesterday? After the cardio classes and lifting weights at home and in class? I doubt it – can’t put too much faith in this scale. This is why I look at averages.

Anyway – beans, et al for breakfast. Maybe go for veggies today. Maybe lunch. Who can say? Oh, I can.

Walk to 6-9 and back for veggies. T-burger, tomatoes & cheese.

TEMPLE – double was strong. Back to work tomorrow.

100814 [Wednesday #112] – Full Moon in Aries (Lunar Eclipse) – Woke up on time. A little weak due to battling & defending against the evil that’s trying to get me. Sore swallowing at times – for a couple of days and sinus activity here and there. Been attacking it with Vitamin C, ACV, gargling with hydrogen peroxide before bed and continuing the training process.

31 mins cardio this morning, mostly running in place and shadow boxing. It may be a normal Wednesday thing after the double Monday & double Tuesday classes. Wednesday seems like a cool down – slow motion day.

184 – 17.8 – 60.1 – 42.8 -  very sligt change. I can see clearly that body fat and muscle mass are related; BF goes down MM rises about the same difference.

Tea, lamb & beans bkft. Maybe I’ll get to the juicing today. Got aquabox this eve too. Feel like chillin’ @ the gig – lots of H2O today.

Good aqua Box session – didn’t do any weight lifting today. Made fenugreek, ginger, cloves & cinnamon elixir (hot). Still fighting. The only symptoms are sore throat occasionally and low energy.

100914 [Thursday #113] – Waning Gibbous in Aries – (sure looks like a full moon): I’m awake before the alarm and waiting for it to go off, then I don’t want to get up, but I did anyway and went back for 15 minutes. Got my shish together and did 31 minutes cardio, emphasis on the mat. Tried to match mt. climbers with running in place, but that didn’t happen. Squats, pushups, shadow box as always, but have to add more leg lift, twists (thigh blocks). Knees are kind of sore. Could be a symptom or all of the jumping. The left knee still snaps here & there, not went squatting, but when starting to walk/step, like a separating – it’s loud, but not painful.

Round I when down before cardio today and finished bkft (lamb & beans) at work [was running late so finished bkft at work.].

184 – 16.7 – 60.9 – 43.3 good numbers, strong comeback. Fighting sick, but feeling it trying to grip me up! Grrr! Third day at 184 and no social events ahead. Massage day. Maybe we can push down a pound. At some point I got to lift this weekend..

Nice massage as usual. No major problems, but scapula [left side] and left side trap rose up.. about an inch. Not much activity afterwards. Iced the back after walking the parkway… just a mile.

101014 [Friday #114] – waning Gibbous in Taurus – wide awake before the alarm. 0400 is early enough to be getting up. Throat felt worse, so there was all kinds of gargling today. The phlegm is coming, so I guess the process is continuing. 31 minutes cardio. I actually felt strong and energetic but held back due to the perceived – whatever we’re going to call it. I was surprised by the numbers.

185.6: 20.3: 58.2: 41.3 – Been trying to figure out what could cause these readings. Generally it’s more about the H2O. could be due to no exercise yesterday [aside from AM cardio] – or maybe the body has channeled resources to the battle front. Speaking of which – runny nose, left nostril.

This afternoon’s plan – temple, maybe a combo of legs, back and chest. Might be able to get 3 stations of each in. should also get to lift Saturday and Sunday as well. Wonder what results 3 days lifting, 2 days of double cardio and 2 days off will manifest.

Beans & Lamb for bkft – oh, made juice last night. Tastes ok. Lots of ginger.

Opted out of Temple for Home work: casual chest and upper back (video) – incline for upper chest. (Haven’t done much flat bench/db pressing this series.) … and posterior delts. For this I have to start with no weights at all. I need to focus on getting my shoulder and scapulae areas more flexible, more muscular and more powerful. Have to use light weights more often.

We went five strong rounds today. Probably has something to do with the war. Tea before bed and have been taking juice shots daily. Maybe I’ll fill up a glass eventually – but it’s pure so I don’t need that much… I don’t think.

101114 [Saturday #115] – waning Gibbous in Taurusthis is the last day of session 8 [last day of week 7 of the makeover] – My new policy is not to look at the time regardless of whether I wake up 2 minutes before the alarm goes off, or two hours. I don’t check the time before I go to bed. Knowing how much or how little time I have to sleep will keep me from sleeping. The alarm is set and I will get up when it goes off.

Cold and rainy this morning. I woke quite a while before the alarm. Managed to get back to sleep and woke up strong and vibrant @ 0400. NOTE: Cold symptoms have diminished. Once the sore throat ended, it seems, the battle was over.

31 minutes cardio with focus on getting the knees up and regular plyometric stuff. I haven’t done [too many] burpees this week. I can actually pick a theme each day; low game, squats & pushups, burpees, hi knees/legs, weights work, etc. Coming out of this battle felt good.

185.6 – 17.8 – 60.1 – 42.7: Veggie omelet for bkft. Good too. Looking to get to temple for legs after work today, rain should stop by then.

Round II was something special.  Quick. I think the juice shots may be working. Maybe do 3 a day and keep doing shots this coming week, then maybe double shots?

TEMPLE LEGS – Done!! Feeling Good Too!!

Highlights: 718 pound leg press (sled) 2 – 3 sets, pushing reps wide. Worked up from an easy 500 lbs.

Front Squats: 135 lbs 4 sets of 6. Went deep and held a few in low position. Otherwise normal routine. Skipped seated calf raises, worked standing leg curl, 35 lbs plates.

I have to work on lunge squats, weightless first.. and then…



Day
Sunday
10-05
Monday
10-06
Tuesday
10-07
Wednesday
10-08
Thursday
10-09
Friday
10-10
Saturday
10-11
Ave.
Weight
186.2
185.2
184
184
184
185.6
185.6
184.9
Body Fat
20.2
16.9
18
17.8
16.7
20.3
17.8
18.2
H2O
58.4
60.8
60
60.1
60.9
58.2
60.1
59.7
Muscle mass
41.4
43.2
42.6
42.8
43.3
41.3
42.7
42.4

Wee k 7 Ave: 184.9 lbs: Body Fat 33.6 lbs.  H2O 110.3: Muscle Mass 79.4 lbs.

Total weight loss/weight gain during this year [from June 19, 2014] & balance.
Session
Previous
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
Tots
Gain
43.1
6.8







Loss
46.5
6.2







Net

0.6







Tot.
-3.4
-2.8








Actual weight of Body Fat/H2O/Muscle Mass – weekly 2014
(Lbs.)
9-06
9-13
9-20
9-27
10-04
10-11
10-18
10-25
11-01
Body Fat
34.3
34.5
33.4
33
34.3
33.6



H2O
111.2
110.7
112
112.25
111.1
110.3



Muscle Mass
79.1
78.4
79
79.6
79
79.4



 


End of Session 8

No comments:

Post a Comment