Sunday, August 31, 2014

Chapter One [Summer]: Session Five



Session V     81714 – 83014 – This session opens in North Carolina at the annual Framily Vacation. I’ve decided to try and work out every day in one way or the other. There’s the beach & there’s the pool and there’s the stuff I can do anywhere. There is always food, that I don’t generally eat and rum… I will try to be disciplined. Training starts when I get back, which will be the second half of this session. I am doing a 90 day fitness, physique… make over, more than a challenge. I’ve done 90 day “challenges” before with satisfactory results, however, since I changed my eating strategies and habits; and ironically since last year’s kidney stone and shoulder injury it appears as if my body’s gotten leaner and more muscular – so this 90 day fitness makeover is to see if I can get even closer to my goal(s) of lean, muscular, etc. These 90 days will be body building mode, I’m not looking for strength or power, but shape, contouring and size. I will have to remember this because I have a tendency towards strength and power over physique. Am I competing? Hell no! well, maybe with myself. I was looking at my body chart and it looks like my best physique measurements and weight-wise was in June of 2012. I’d like to top that; wider lats, thicker chest and legs, leaner, thinner torso and less belly fat.

Let’s see what happens. I know this stuff works. I’ve been at it for almost twenty years, steadily. I’ve seen & felt the changes, so there’s no need for doubt and no need to stop. There’s even no need to go harder – just more focus, & discipline and a slightly different goal.

81714 [Sunday #60] – Last Quarter in Taurus: wake in OBC-NC: 40 minutes walk on the beach. More beach time, more pool time, more run time, even if it’s not far… or long.

Two separate rather lame-o rounds of Eat sweat, but oh well. It’s vacation.

All I can fall back on is not drinking as much alcohol as last year and much more water. I am enticed by the food but I’m not indulging in sweets & desserts, etc.

81814 [Monday #61] – Waning Crescent in Gemini: OBX-NC wake 6AM walk the beach for almost an hour. I could feel the sweat. Walk yes… not run.

Light spec forces 10 – 1 No weight, & stretches. (2nd base) – can’t seem to generate the same energy to exercise in the room. Beach & ocean 1 round of aqua box protocol.

81914 [Tuesday #62] - Waning Crescent in Gemini: wake OBX-NC – cloudy day, slept in, but not too late. Managed a decent outdoor workout, jump rope, plyo, mt. climbers, pushups, burpees… cool down 20 minutes or so. Good sweat. The sun came out. S’posed to be hot today. Pool weather.

Aqua workout/practice, pretty intense, got sore but no sweat. Maybe move faster. Experimented with noodles and knots.

Realizing that I am happy with my life. I’m on vacation with my best friends, but I miss being in my routine… [almost wrote ‘home’ but I didn’t mean Philly]. Someone asked if I could stay away from Philly. “Hell yeah,” but it’s all theory until you live it. So I won’t be cutting ties. It will be an adjustment, no doubt. Better… or maybe start a blog or resume, one… countdown… maybe I’m institutionalized.Philatutionalized???

82014 [Wednesday #63] - Waning Crescent in Cancer wake OBX-NC breakfast then morning workout. Eat Sweat, improv w/demos – then aqua fit work in the pool, then the beach, rough-wild surf, body surfing & great workout. Then lots of chillin’.


Food: tuna-pasta salad, berries & nuts, sangria, but no other drinks before 6pm. I think the sangria caused a headache. Beach bonfire… no more drinking since headache, just water. 

82114 [Thursday #64] - Waning Crescent in Cancer  wake OBX-NC headache and right nostril stuffed up. Thinking caffeine headache, so of course I had tea. Two quick hits before breakfast. Certainly different circumstances and life style mean different results, so I’m not mad about not hitting homers.

Spent a lot of time on the beach yesterday – both day and night – with the bonfire, maybe 3 to 5 hours. It was cool as I was tolerating a headache. What will today bring? Maybe that 2 – 3 mile walk into town that I’ve been talking about. I should fuel up first.

Haven’t had very many salads this week. Might make the body change a little bit.

Got to get my mind right for “body building.” I should put the schedule in my phone: 2 days on, one day off & make room for classes and the cardio and the food. Mon-Wed classes means Thurs-Sun I can schedule for make ups and/or quickies. No drinking, no parties & little socializing. NO CHEAT DAYS!! How will this work? Weekly photo sessions, video updates?

Made the walk, about 40 minutes to town. Settled at Duck deli; diner-ish, but not serving breakfast after noon, since I got here 10 minutes before noon – 1 strike. Opted for a salad, which I’d wanted anyway.

Ended up going to Roanoke & Aquarium with the Fram and late night pool party workout. And I had a dark & stormy – but that may have been my only drink. Oh yeah, ate an Angus, mushroom, provolone burger @ Full Moon Café.

82214 [Friday #65] - Waning Crescent in Cancer  wake OBX- NC: Bizarro dreams cats.. a cat jumps from my backyard up two stories to my bedroom window, nearly roars at me… then lands with a splat on the ground. On two occasions a cats wraps around my leg, can’t shake it off… must be the kids.

I seem to have reoccurring headaches, it’s most likely the alcohol – maybe I should begin alcohol abstinence tonight or tomorrow. Tonight may be hard b/c it’s our last night here.

I’ve gotten some kind of workout in every day. Sometimes twice a day. Not a bad vacation.

GX dream – another crazy GX dream. [Temple] the front desk was a mess, I kept forgetting things, like the keys, no one could find the book. Just nervous about the new season I guess. Ok maybe anxious about it.

Mini golf, etc. Chilled most of the day & burgers & friend chicken @ Sooey’s, Mac & cheese & collards. Good stuff.

82314 [Saturday #66] - Waning Crescent in Leo  wake OBX-NC Travel Day. The change I sense is within me. It was great being with the fram as always. Great being away from Philly. The “thing” is – vacation doesn’t contrast enough with ‘real life’ to make it stand out, if that makes sense. Oh well. I’ll figure it out later.

Started not drinking yesterday and ‘training’ can start tomorrow, officially – but got to have some family time before my kids leave town.

*Need to tend to this wound on my left big toe. Seems like it’s a friction wound, but it’s effecting my low game.

Back home 6PM – weigh in 192 20/55; expected. start recovery of vacation weight gain +3 lbs. Not bad.

Dinner at Mom’s, hangin’ with the kids.

82414 [Sunday #67] - Waning Crescent in Leo  wake 192 E!

First day of training Cardio or legs or home work? It’s tricky being Sunday and the last full day of my kids being in town. Did some cleaning… took care of the big ugly frog… $$ … bkft @ 11am. Mental/buffer day off. Oh, lamb, spinach, cheese omelet. Yum!! Today’s training starts at noon, barring any unforeseen events.

Eat Sweat: Zodiac – 2 rounds of the twelve
Run in place
Jumping jacks
Heal toe hop
Shadow box
Burpees
Mt. climbers
Plank Jacks
Pushups
Jump Lunge
Kicks
Power squats
Twist out

Eat sweat sculpt; 12 lbs. dumbbells
First round 10 reps: second round 12 reps each.
Front squats
Deadlifts
Bent Rows
Shoulder press
Shrugs
Bent Flies
Shoulder raises
Biceps Curls

Back bend – neck work, leg curls 2x ankle weights.
YMCA @3-ish? Doable… Legs today.
Chest Monday before spin. Off Tuesday? Or Park Day.
Time to eat again – no or little food in the house.

Lunch – lima bean & rice leftovers from Mom’s.
It’s been a week of not running the El steps – should jolt the body back into action. Let’s go.

YMCA Leg Day
Inverted leg press on smith machine
6 plates – warm up set 20 reps + 30 calf presses
Working sets; 8 plates 10 reps + 20 calf presses. (2 sets0
3rd set 8 plates + 20 lbs. 10 reps.
Hips were tight during the warm up but then loosened up. ROM was increased. Left ankle started to give during 3rd set.
Shin flex & Break down calf raises.
90 lbs dumbbell
12+10+(7*+10)+15
Bad placing had to re-adjust.
Break down the 45s from the smith and do calf raises…
Don’t ask again.
Leg extensions
Progressive weight
Regressive reps
Start 135 Lbs.
End 245/rack.

Leg Curls seated.
Progressive/regressive
Start 120-ish
End: 150 or 165 lbs.

Calf presses on leg press machine & chest press machine.
Stretch out
Done in an hour.


20 minute march to the train station.

Mad Mex in Wynnewood with the kids. Didn’t drink, didn’t eat bread or rice.

82514 [Monday #68] – New Moon in Virgo WAKE 190 – E! down two pounds after yesterday. YAY! Day 2 of training. Early morning cardio. Eat Sweat Zodiac – 2 rounds, pushing the burpees, this is a brutal series, but I feel good afterwards. Ab work to finish up. Bkft – beans, lamb, & cheese – didn’t finish the bowl & didn’t force it. Smaller portions.

Base hit! Before work… ahhh back to work.

I’ve got too many freekin bug bites on me!!

Felt energetic today right up until after I ate lunch. Greens, turkey, tomatoes.

YMCA – chest & triceps DONE!!
Simple & basic, remember it’s not the weight, it’s the reps 4 x 15 gets me to the next level. Priority is upper pecks, so inclines always first.
Incline bench press
40 lbs. goal
4 x 15
15x15x10x10
I feel the left shoulder working. No pain, though
Flat flies
30 lbs.
4 x 15
Next 35 lbs.
Incline barbell press
100 lbs.
6x8x8x8
This is probably too much weight, but I’ll keep it steady and work up to the reps. This will take discipline, I already know I want to go heavier.
DB Pull over
70?
Wt. unidentified
11 x 10 x 8 x 6
Goal: fight through the fatigue.
Skull crushers
The bar
50 lbs.
8 x 10 x 10 x 10
Same goal. Got good to me after a while
Rope pull downs cable
2 quick sets
70 lbs
Rushed off to spin class.

SPIN CLASS: Good but I felt like I was faking it. The sweat & legs suggested otherwise.

I was feeling the result of triceps work almost immediately when I got home. May skip dinner… probably should have some protein. Just having cashews, pistachios & probably tea and a hot shower.

These dam bug bites are swelling up. Got ice, alcohol. Discharge coming from both wounds [face & elbow, now.]

82614 [Tuesday #69] – waxing Crescent in VirgoWAKE 188 E! that was quick… back to normal  weight.

Morning cardio DONE! With weight gloves on, featuring burpees – hard as fudge! First round 20 w/o pushups, second round 12 w/ pushup, but kind of slow and sloppy. We’ll work it out though.

Tea – shower, pork, liquid eggs, cheese.. simple bkft. The discipline will be NOT lifting today, but maybe yoga-esque stretches, back, neck etc.

#1 Gig: feeling good & sore, probably the workout… duh! The bug bites have calmed down.. I want to kill all bugs now! The peroxide/baking soda ‘tooth paste’ I put on the bites kept them from itching as I slept (maybe). The elbow has blown into a rash.

Left grip is dangerously weak – so grip squeezy thing in the mix at work [remember this.]

Need to remember to work power cleans and dips [now that the shoulder is better] into the regimen. And thrusters, and dumbbell toss – the active movement stuff.. what? A 6th day??

#2 – second base. Eat more carbs on lifting days – maybe pasta at lunch – no/low carbs on non lift days.

Salmon salad at Broad street diner after work. I like those times.

Got a triple today: evening stretch work [after gardening] – neck, back bends, and that frog move, which seems to be coming along. I should film it. Also some leg-curl stretches, I can’t get my heal to my butt… this should be a goal… full bow!! Chicken thighs & mushrooms for dinner, but late.. just after 2100. I got in bed early maybe before 2200. I really don’t know what time I went to bed.

82714 [Wednesday #70] - waxing Crescent in Virgo: wake 188 29/50: Got numbers. My body likes 188. Early workout – quasi cardio – random stuff. Mat work, leg raises, lower abs stuff. Next trapz sore & tight, probably the cause of the headache. Need to open those parts. Early base hit at wake up.

#2: the gig. “headache” & sluggish feeling persists despite day off and much sleep. Is this the cost? Probably looking in the wrong direction. Neck & trapz.. DOMS maybe? Yeah, I think it’s sore muscles. But the sluggishness tho??

Got the RBI on a bunt @ the Y… but it still counts. Had a bigger lunch today, tuna, pasta, chick peas, tomatoes. I felt sluggish and had a headache most of the day, but YGX brought me out of it.

But first… BACK DAY: (Biceps are secondary and no specific bi-work today.) Maybe I’ll do a 2 – 1 – 3 – 1 schedule and on a 3 day I can do stuff I missed or skipped. Anyway…

YMCA
Going for 4 sets of 15 of each… but not today. I figure this goal will keep me honest.
Barbell Row
Supine grip
140 lbs.
15-10-8-6
With wraps, head is pounding
Pull ups: Smith machine.
Body weight
Lame but I feel them
5 – 5 – 4 – 3 - 4
Set3: low
Set 4; wide.
Barbell shrug
With wraps
210 lbs.
4 x 15
Add 10% or so
230 lbs next time
Seated, bent db flies
40 lbs.
8 – 8 – 10 – 10
Set 3: Muscle memory kicks in.
Leaning/bent shrug
100 lbs, wraps
8 – 10 – 12 – 12
Muscle memory, but this was tough
Lat pull down
Supine
105 lbs
Cable
4 x 10
Down to the chest.

YGX was powerful and fun. Glad I practiced. Premiered new protocol, good feedback, if you call sweat good feedback.

Back to the green apples. Should amuse the system. I wonder the results.

Bug bite itch on my right foot, but I can’t find the bite! I should bathe in baking soda and peroxide.

Chicken & mushrooms, late dinner. I decided not to look at the time before I go to bed. Just go… don’t look at it when (if) I wake up before the alarm goes off. One less thought on my mind.


82814 [Thursday #71] - waxing Crescent in Libra: wake 190 29/50 –
A surprising two pound gain, but looking in the mirror @ my emerging – or should I say, evolving physique. I’m not very concerned.

Actually talked myself to sleep last night. My new “prayer” – self talking my body into repair, growth, healing and attraction.

Morning cardio was random but stronger than yesterday. Tried some new moves, like running in place w/ my back on the mat. 30 minutes.

Maybe get back to pushups at the gig. Shoulders and biceps today @ Temple – (calves maybe) – or the Y… I can’t decide.

#1 – Gig.

Opted for the YMCA: Shoulders and Biceps

Military Press
Bar +15s
10x8x8x8

Lateral Flies
25s
4 x 15
Increase to 30s next time
Upright rows
45 lb. wagon wheel (plate)
12x12x10x10
This was improve, the EZ curls bar was in use.
Front Raises
15 lbs
4 x 15
Increase to 20s next
Alternate biceps curls
20 lbs
2 x 15
2 x 10 singles
Good weight, maybe one set w/ 25s next
Reverse curls
12 lbs/15 lbs
15 tandem
15 alt.
Then 10 tandem
10 alt

Wrist curls
25 lbs
30 lbs
20 each
15x12x10
These were pretty tough





Guacamole and tidbits before bed.

82914 [Friday #72] - waxing Crescent in Libra: I think the scale is broken. Got a new one with more features. I realized my old scale was about 10 years old. It did a good job. Now, it’s time to retire it. 188 lbs: 18% body fat: 60% H2O: 43% Muscle Mass

Slept a long time. Had dreams I can’t remember.

Morning cardio: Had to push it today. It’s a double-off day. I may use today for catch up, park, suspension type stuff… and a new scale. Cardio: Run - of course burpees practice & experimentation. Plank jack pushups (PJPs), higher kicks, jump-knee-touch, knew raises, twists (elbow to knee). Mat run, sit ups, leg laterals.

Massage day – lovely. Needed it. No cramps or aches. Right trap/neck area tight and tender as usual.

Breakfast at cedar park Diner – eggs, sausage, some hash browns. Skipped the bread.

Got a new scale and new measurement: Muscle Mass @ 43% and just in time for the 12 week cycle. I rated myself at age 40 b/c the parameters might be tighter/stricter. You can say I’m training to be 40.

Ended up making this an off day, as it should be, in order to have Saturday and Sunday as “on” days and not mess up the schedule. (Monday is Labor Day and will be off.) I’m thinking Temple Legs in the AM, if I’m not out too late.

North Third and Body Rock tonight. Stayed disciplined at both.

83014 [Saturday #73] - waxing Crescent in Scorpio Wake 188.4  18.6: 59.5: 42.3  already all my numbers are dropping.
Morning cardio – improve just over 20 minutes. Back bends & neck stretch, upper back, single bows.

#2: down – recovery. Temple Legs today. Oh – ACV back in the mix, but it’s not a habit yet. Taste tells me I’m not acidic.

#3 – already! Body is in recovery mode. Ate out a lot yesterday (twice is a lot for me) & went to Body Rock, worked up a good sweat on the dance floor.

Planned: Leg press, front squats, dead lifts, leg curls, calves…
Temple Legs DONE!!

Leg press – (I Love the sled!!):

Warm up was 15 reps about 400 lbs
Working: 2 more sets of 15 reps w/
490, then 580 & set of 10 with 670-ish
Calf presses in between. Cool down 20 reps 318 lbs.
Front Squats
Went with the 35s on the bar
4 sets of 6…
And was happy to get that!
Romanian Deadlifts
55’s + bar
4 x 10 Solid
Good sets. Just enough. Go towards 15 next
Back squats
45s on the bar
3 x 6
1 x 8
I was surprised at how heavy this seemed after the first 3 rounds, but ok.
Seated calf raises
Started with 90 lbs to 135 to 160 to 180
180 is the bounce weight
All at least 10 – 20 reps.
Leg extensions
45 lb plate to start
2 x 15 then 2 x 10 added 10s to each side. [55 lbs]
Can probably get to 60 or 65, if my shins hold up.
Shin flex
80 lbs
4 sets – 10- 20 reps
The damn bench was slippery.
Seated calf extensions (machine0
190 lbs
 Rocked 20 reps
This was tougher than it seemed
Seated leg curl (Machine)
130 lbs
3 x 8
I was done by this point.

I became one of those protein-drink-in-the-locker-room guys today. ½ scoop (14g) Wheybolic extreme. I may do this every other on day and work to every workout day. This was a long one, over 90 minutes I think.

Weight Progress to date: (I love charts & tables.)
Session
I
II
III
IV
V
Gain
9
4.0
7.5
7
 5.5
Loss
6
6.5
8.5
6
6
Net
3
-2.5
-1.0
1
-0.5
Tot.
3
0.5
-0.5
0.5
0

End of week One, end of Session 5.

 Picture/video day. UGH!

Got some video done. No more hits thus far [1730]. Eve meal beans, pork, tomatoes, cheese & spices… good sweat.

Not a bad day. Got the commitments out of the way early and had the afternoon to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment