Sunday, April 26, 2015

Chapter IV: Spring - Session XXII



Session XXII:  41215 – 42515

Welcome to Session 22. A while back I contemplated about health, fitness and personal training being like financial fitness, whereby we’d keep track of our progress by regular check ins, measuring and creating tables, charts and graphs to keep us on track. I’ve been doing the chart/graph thing for a while, but lately I’ve been compiling more data, which has allowed me to set different kinds of goals beyond that of mere body weight.

To start this session, I will be offering some sort of presentation; a quarterly report if you will, of the progress made on the goals I’ve set. (I have to do something to keep this stuff interesting. And I don’t mind if you don’t – find it interesting, that is.)



So, let's start with Body Weight in general. We realized a rise above the warning 190 lbs. mark in early January, which was most likely due to the Holiday season and the abundance of food, drink and merriment of that period. as you can see, after a volatile February we saw a steady decline beginning around the first of March. The spring 90 day fitness challenge began on March 15th, so we'll probably see an even greater decline until it bottoms out. We're predicting lows around 180, give or take 2 - 3 lbs, but no lower. 180 lbs yields a 25.1 BMI which is still considered over weight, but it's not much of a concern. 



Here we are taking a look at the Fat Weight Chart based off the readings of our scale. Once again we see the peak around the end of the Holiday season and a choppy winter and steady decline around the start of March, however towards the end of that month it seems to be on the rise again. We envision hitting the 28 lb. fat mark and eventually moving that down to 25 lbs., however as you can see we've yet to break through the 30 lb. barrier. We are currently looking into and implementing more dietary strategies, metabolic strategies and muscle growth to aid us in attaining this goal. 




Here we see the muscle mass graph. we expect muscle mass to move in the opposite direction of fat weight, however it seems to be moving in the same directions. you can note on some of the tables presented on the blog, that weight, muscle and fat seem to drop together. Once again, we're working on strategies that will help us elevate our "mm" numbers above the 82 lbs. mark. You can see a dramatic dip around mid March (day82-83) then a rebound and then a dip. You will also note the downward trend, also around March when the fitness challenge began. As we move further into warm weather we think we'll see those numbers increase. 




At the end of the day, what we're really looking at is the Muscle Mass to Body Fat ratio. While we'd like to have, say 82 (MM) to 27 (BF) ratio, we'd accept different values. as you can see from this graph, despite drops in fat, muscle and body weight the ratio has been steadily increasing, which suggests that we're on the right track. Keep in mind that this is a brand new venture for us and we're not quite sure what to expect. The latest strategy is upping the post workout protein and fat. Carbohydrates, especially grains, starches and the like, have been cut out. Soda, fruit juices, etc. have long been out of the diet, so at this point it may just be a matter of adjusting portions and properly supplementing and tweaking the exercise program. 

Okay - one more. 




This graph is tracking the spring 90 day fitness challenge by body weight and comparing it to the Fall 90 day that ran from August to November of last year. We're wondering how much different the resulting patterns will be. The dashes represent a daily average. the green & purple is Fall 2014 and blue & yellow are this year. Last year we hit 184 for a short while, then climbed back up to where we started. This year we're closer to 180 and we'll see how this goes. If we get some early summer help from the warm weather, we may be able to hit 180 and keep in there for a while. Hopefully this means we've dropped some significant fat and can start packing on muscle lbs. 

We're also watching inches around the torso, and that graph may be available later in this session. 
That's it. Hopefully you have found this enlightening and edifying. Of course your numbers will differ, I do, however encourage you to empirically track your progress, I believe it will better assure your success. 

[applause] 


41215 [Sunday #298] – Back to AM Cardio. 31 minutes. Need to go faster – stronger. Sore this morning. Woken by a right calf cramp.



Digits the same: 184.6 – 17.1 – 60.6 – 43.1 – I have to want more, or I won’t get it.

Round I: [NS] – headed to work.
Round II: [NS] – back work at the Y today. That’s the plan. Bent rows. Oh yeah… guess I’ll work within the 5 x 5 protocol at least for a while, at least for a few body parts. Maybe back to pyramid training  for the bench press. I thought I was going to remember everything I did about 15 years ago when I started lifting at the Y, but that wasn’t the case. Luckily I wrote a lot of what I did down, and even more luckily I found some of those notes. So at some point, maybe, I’ll get back to the pyramid.

Tootsie’s Lunch – kale, feta, chicken, toms.

YMCA – good work at the Y today. Felt strong, not overly energetic. Let’s see if the re-cardio initiates another fat weigh drop. I may do the AM cardio in the park tomorrow.

THE WORK

Barbell Row + Shin flex
120lbs 5x5
65 lbs.
Starting conservatively. Go to 130 lbs.
[2 x 25+15+18+15] super sets.
DB pull over
85 lbs. 5x5
Go to 90. Add side bends with 25 lb plate 5 x 25.
Standing row
30’s lbs.
2 x 10; 2 x 12.
Cables
Standing Row
130 x 15
This went well. Good stuff!
140 x 12
150 x 10
160 x 8
170 x 8
180 x 6
Straight arm press down

110 x 10; 120 x 8; 130 x 6
Lunges
35’s lbs.
 3 x 10 … still not the king, but increased weight and stability.
Biceps Curls
35’s
10 – just to see if I could do them.

Done, 61 minutes.

Shake; gainer, egg, chia, hemp.

Going to take a week off of the chlorella and charcoal, & maybe start with chlorella next week.
Bean & hearts soup.
Evening psoas, leg, hip, calf stretch.
41314 [Monday #299] – This is day 30 … woke up late – sore in the core – but yeah, I went kinda hard yesterday. Thinking to do kettle-bell/squat thrust version of Spec Forces, but tea first? Yes! Round I: [NS], early. Good work.

I think I have a pretty good stretch routine as far as exercises. Let’s see what it does. Next a bar bend sequence. The spring bar can be handy too. I’ve had it for years but never fully utilized it. Maybe this time.

AM-cardio – kbell squat thrusts – 10 – 1 short [interrupt] electric man.  Today was haphazard and improve. Kicks, knee raises w/ ankle weights, spring bar and random stuff, but still…  Stability ball planks has gotten stronger.

Weigh – 184.6 – 16.8 – 60.9 – 43.2 – So far despite a few peaks and drops my theory seems to be sound. Could also be the weather. Let’s see how much further we can go – 2.57:1 – have to make this ‘normal’ then destroy it.

Am I ready to do proper 5x5? Let’s find out.

Day 1
(5 x 5)
Day 2
Day 3
Squats
Squats
Squats
Bench
Military Press
Bench
Barbell Row
Dead lift
(1 x 5)
Barbell Row

I’m going to have to adjust this to work with my schedule. Ideally, every other day… add 5 – 10 lbs each work out. 5 x 5 does NOT include warm ups (interesting). I can work support muscle on off days? Not sure I can do two straight days of NOT training. Classic 5 x 5.

Hmmm, I think I can squat 200; bench 170 (maybe 160??) barbell row 130? Military press 100, dead lift 300… Okay, what day will I start?? Wednesday or Thursday? Wednesday will let me lift on Friday and Sunday… then Monday and Tuesday light, and back to Wednesday. This might work.

Veggie breakfast in two parts (greens: spinach, romain lettuce & kale, pepper and onions.
Lunch, guac and cheese.

Round III: [DP] – veggie breakfast…. Natural.
Pineapple, egg, gainer shake, before the Y.
20 Minute walk to trolley.
Pre-workout stuff.

Incline bench press – 120 lbs 5 x 5
Reverse shoulder raises 20 lbs x 20; 25 lbs 2 sets.
Triceps press down 67.5 lbs. 3 x 7

Functional Fitness was awesome. Spin was strong – beef jerky afterwards (last bag).

41415 [Tuesday #300] – slept late – hodge-podgey workout… before & after weigh in… notable results – 182 – 16.2 – 61.3 – 43.5 – dramatic change [DAY 300!! Nice day for it] likely unsustainable in the short run – but achievable long term. (I don’t want to be disappointed tomorrow if the digits are up just as dramatically.) The resistance training theory is holding. The weather is warmer and wetter today, too. The weather factor has to be observed over a longer time period. [2.69:1 ratio]. Still under 80 lbs of muscle – so this is just a partial “victory” still work to do.

Round I: [NS] – had tea before training, which was about half an hour – no time limit and no real design.

Hungry now… must eat. I like the look, though.
30 Day Report

Note: Today may have just happened to be a “good” weigh in day for reasons mentioned earlier and could be completely different tomorrow. In the investment game, current earnings don’t predict future profits, but in fitness it’s a little different. If you [we] keep doing what we do to be successful, we should become even more successful. 


Weight
Fat wt.
Fat %
H20%
Muscle
MM%
MM:BF
3-15-15
185.6
31.73
17.1
60.6
80
43.1
2.52:1
4-13-15
182
29.48
16.2
61.3
79.17
43.5
2.69:1
30 day results
-3.2
-2.25
-7%
Same
-.83
>1%
+.16


Since officially starting the Spring 90;body weigh is down 3.2 lbs [2%]; fat weight is down 2.25 lbs [>7%]; muscle mass is down less than 1% and my muscle mass to body fat ratio has increased 16 points. For every pound of fat I have 2.69 lbs of muscle. When most (if not all) of us talk about losing weight, we mean fat weight. So it’s necessary to be able to measure body fat as best as possible, which is why I mentioned the scale in the video. Further, for myself, most guys I know as well as women; building lean muscle mass is also a goal. Again, it’s important to be able to measure your results. Often people will realize a drop in weight, which maybe as much muscle as it is fat. This is why I keep track of my mm:bf ratio. I’m aiming for 3:1, and when I reach it, I’ll go for 3.5:1, not sure what that will look or feel like, but I might as well give it a go. It’s good experience.

Walk to 69th street 20 minutes. [Food shopping].

TUGX was good. Very low participation on my part. Had a lot of noobs/tourists in the session. Wedge of cheese after. No aqua box, glad to et out early. No evening workout or stretch. Didn’t need dinner after the cheese. This low-carb thing may have something to it.

41515 [Wednesday #301] – wake up, 1 snooze – kbell swing and squat thrust 10 – 1, took about 10 – 12 minutes. Moved some weight and bent the bar for the rest of the 31 minutes.

181.2 – 16.6 – 61 – 43.3 – 2.61:1 – good weight. Not so good digits – I’m complaining about this? I’m still in the 16’s where I said I wanted to be ha ha.

Not sure whether to be concerned about this or not. Trying not to be, after all 180 – 175 is my goal, and??? So chill. The weight can come back… as MUSCLE!!

Gig: Two normal rounds so far. Getting enough H2O I think. Finger tips are dry. This is a signal of something.

Lunch Park’s 75% - more meats, cheese, less carbs.

Body is sore, but going to the Y to officially  start 5 x 5: Squat, bench press, bb row, then aqua box.

Pre-drink & supps.
Squats 205 – a bit more than I’d planned to start with. Go to 210.
Bench press: - 160 – just tough enough. Question, 165 or 170.
Barbell Row – 130 – success, go for more. Maybe 5 more or 10 more? No ego.. don’t be greedy. Maybe I can split the diff… 7 lbs more next time.
Done in 30 minutes.
Aqua Box – Good session.
Cheese wedge, in tw parts. Think I’ll have a shake when I get home and maybe some stretching.
Shake – forgot the egg, oh well. Prepped some potatoes for bkft.. need to finish that avocado too. 1 tea so far. Probably all I need before bed, besides ACV.

Actually got some stretching and planking, and core (semi-plange on stability ball) work done before bed. OK playa.

41615 [Thursday #302] – Over slept, snooze was not a snooze. Up at 0446: 31 minutes of mainly running in place and abs.

Weigh –in: 181.2 – 16.4 – 61.1 – 43.3 – I may have bottomed out for now. Will the next weight gain be muscle?

Bkft: potatoes, 2 eggs, guacamole, filled me up.

Round I: [NS] – Heavy. Satisfied. To lunch. Going easy on the trail mix. (should I be able to not eat from 6 am to noon?) 6 hours? Not sure. I have to monitor my hunger and be sure it’s hunger.  

Lunch, Park’s 86% - meat heavy.
To the Y. Vanity Day.

EZ bar, skull crushers &
Shin flex Super sets
(15lbs) x 10
(20 lbs) x 10
(25 lbs) x 10
(30 lbs.) x 6 + 7
First time doing this.
Weight = plates on the bar.
70 lbs 5 x 25 reps
Tri-Sets Calf Raise (Smith)
4 plates 3 x 20
Increase the calf weight, the others are good.
EZ bar curls
(25s) 3 x 10
Standing Tri-Press
70 lbs. db 3 x 5
Triceps push down (Cable)
100 x 15: 110 x 12:
120 x 12; 130 x 10

This turned out pretty good. Got more with the reverse curl than I thought. 30s are good. I can do more with the triceps on the cable.
Reverse db curls
20lbs x 20 + 26
25 lbs x 20
30 lbs x 12
Triceps bench dips
3 x 30
Calf up, no wt.
20 + 30 + 30


41715 [Friday #303] – 181.2 – 16.5 – 61.1 – 43.4 – interesting both fat and muscle % increased, but not weight, 2.63:1 ratio. Wake 1 snooze, been sleeping better. No get-ups, 31 minutes, cardio with kick sequences and calisthenics, shadow box with weights. (5’s & 8’s)

Stew for bkft (crock pot, good) w/ spinach (raw)

Round I: [NS] to to gig.
Round II: [NS] Lunch from Park’s 97%: turkey, chicken, salmon, spinach, cabbage, avocado.
Round III: [NS] – YMCA plan 5x5 day 2 – Squats (210), Military press (100), dead lift (300) 1 x 5 – This was successful. Took about 30 – 40 minutes.

Squats got easier add 10.
Press was challenging add 5.
Deadlift – surprised myself add 10 – 20. I think I can do 320, if not I’ll work my way up to it. We’ll se what Sunday brings.

Leg stretch tonight? Nope. Had two bowls of stew – very yummy. Go to bed early, 2100-ish. ACV, adios.

41815 [Saturday #304] – Woke early, before the alarm, still slept through the night. AM-X, kettle-bell swing+squat thrusts 10 – 1, abs work ankle wts., dumbbell shoulder swings, leg curls, stretch, elongated pushups, pushups on fists, etc. The numbers are generally good, but a shocking change compared to the rest of the week.

185.6 – 17.1 – 60.6 43.1 – Must have been the stew, because I worked out strong yesterday. And – you don’t gain weight from something you didn’t eat. Or something like that.

2 eggs, shrooms, spinach for breakfast.
Round I [NS] – Gig.




No Trail mix to munch on today – and my belly’s feelin’ it. Got water though. Trying this calorie restriction thing – trying to readjust my brain. I’m used to munching at this time of day [0800]… habit, or am I really hungry.

Seaweed snack!
Beef jerky snack – last part of the last bag, because it has wheat in it! I know, right?
Lunch, Park’s 103% - mostly salmon, filling… bored at the gig.
Get to the Y!!

There was some question as to whether I’d make it to the Y or not. For most of the day I was feeling “blah” and completely would be okay with giving myself a break… but I made it.
Pre-supps, no pre-drink.

Round III: [NF] – beef stew. Next time I will probably broth or soup it, but it will be a while until I have beef again.

Lower Legs & Upper Body
Calves and Curls [Super set]
Smith 2p x 30; 2p+10 x 20 + 25; 2p+25 x 12 + 15 (230 lbs on the bar) – good weight
Biceps curls: 40 lbs x 10 + 14 +3 x 10 (these are totals, basically 5 – 7 each arm, so we’ll keep the weight here until we’re getting 30 total.) Not too much movement, but right psoas felt it.

Next Round – barbell shrugs, (3 x 10); 3d set was heavy (230 lbs). left grip was going.
Bent Flys: 40 lbs 2 x 10 + 12. Good wt. focus on form.
Shin flex 85 lbs. 10 +12+13; Good weight, better placement on feet.

Upstairs –
Reverse grip triceps pull downs (lat cable) 30 lbs. less than 10 reps each. More of these are needed on vanity days.

Lateral shoulder raises 15 lbs. 3 x 10… these are good for the rehab/building shoulders.

Calf press (seated) 315 3 sets different angles.. done in 61 minutes. Short walk to the trolly.

Home: Shake, gainer, fruit.
Cheese nuts, 2x tea and ACV before bed. I don’t even mind not being out on Saturday night. I’m trending away from people/crowds.

Week 5 (of spring 90) done. I’ve got a few fitness projects going. 


This week’s Red Zone +184.9, 17.2% BF & <60.5% H2O, 43% Muscle & 2.50:1 MM:BF ratio – higher standards this week. Let’s meet the challenge!!

Day
Sunday
4-12
Monday
4-13
Tuesday
4-14
Wednesday
4-15
Thursday
4-16
Friday
4-17
Saturday
4-18
Ave.
Weight
184.6
184.6
182
181.2
181.2
181.2
185.6
182.9
Body Fat
17.1
16.8
16.2
16.6
16.4
16.5
17.1
16.6
H2O
60.6
60.9
61.3
61
61.1
61.1
60.6
60.9
Muscle mass
43.1
43.2
43.5
43.3
43.3
43.4
43.1
43.2
Ratio
2.52
2.57
2.69
2.61
2.64
2.63
2.52
2.60

This was a stellar week. Somehow mid-week I dropped 3 lbs, and mm:bf ratio boosted past 2.60:1. Although muscle mass dropped below 80 lbs., fat weight dropped below 30 for the first time since measuring. Then, at the end of the week, (I think it was the stew), total weight jumped back up to where I started. If it is the food, the weight will return in 2 – 3 days, that’s seems to be the speed of my metabolism on average. In any case; also this week I officially started 5 x 5 training. At this point I’ve only done two days – so the first week isn’t done yet. I feel like I can’t take a break from lifting so between days 1 & 2 of 5 x 5 I did a vanity day; today I’ll work support muscles, trapz, posterior delts, calves front & back. Thus far this week, and for quite a while actually I haven’t experienced much delayed onset muscle soreness [DOMS]. While it does show up at times, nowhere near how it was before.

I’m trying not to beat myself up for “blowing” my weight eating crock pot beef bone stew. I know the benefits will manifest in a few days.

It looks like my 5 x 5 schedule won’t be every other day at first; two days off for classes. The last classes at Temple are this week, so Tuesday will be open for a while. Trip to Zona may disrupt my plan for a moment, but at this point I can survive a week. I can just work on more balance and core stability when I’m not lifting.

 


41915 [Sunday #305] – 185.6 – 17.4 – 60.4 – 42.9Radical!! Back to the start!

Wake and work – calisthenics and core work. Use 8 lb weights. Big freekin difference from 5’s… but I need to manage 8’s. The numbers are moving [running] away again and this week – much of it anyway – will probably be in the RED ZONE. This seems to be an extreme adjustment. My resistance training theory could not defeat the stew [if it was the stew, but what else could it be that puts weight on that fast?] It reminds me of the duck incident. Keeping in mind that 80% at least is food.

Looking at the Fall 90 chart, however, it looks like I spiked around the same time. This could be just the way my body works, every 4-5 weeks, back to the beginning? I doubt this, but I’m willing to entertain the idea.

Bkft – potato mix & eggs

I watched this video workout. It’s Tabata timing: jumping lunge squats; leaping lizards [basically jumping spider man pushups]; hand stand kick up [this will be tough] – hi jump knee squats. Gonna give this a try outside… Go for counts.

Round II: [NS] – short & sweet – Lunch, Tootsie’s, kale, feta, chicken, et al. Boost for 5 x5 after work. 70% - very filling, blue cheese dressing. Dense!

Round III: - [DS] – Good work.

YMCA 5 x 5 [plan] Squat 220: Bench 170: Row 140
Round IV: [DS] – 5 x 5 Day 3

Good work. I followed the plan.
Deadlifts 220 5x5 – the 3rd set is when the power comes. This is kind of amazing, because I don’t think I’ve noticed [or at least I haven’t noted it before.] Add 10 lbs. [Finally, I get 4 plates].

Bench Press 170 5x5 Yes! Once again, 3rd set. Add 5 – 10 lbs? I’ve done 180 before, so I might as well keep going until I drop below 5x5, then add less. Shoulder and elbow (left) holding up…  The worry is more in my mind. 90 seconds break between sets.

Bent Barbell Row: 140 5x5 – add 10. Glad this comes last. 30 – 40 seconds between sets. And Done: 30 minutes and no hanging around afterwards. I don’t want to rush through it, but I want to get out of the habit of lingering.

Pre-drink & supps: Post shake, mass gainer, w/ fruit.
1 tea, probably beans & hearts. Off tomorrow, rain expected. Vanity day and/or YGX & Spin.
Cleaned [my] gym.
Beans/hearts/kale – chlorella (restart this week and examine.) More tea. No ACV before bed.


42014 [Monday #306] – wake. Slept late – rainy, dreary day. Slow start. Round I: (?). opening body movement warm ups – tea. Off today, not sure which workout I’ll do today, maybe a montage. Maybe I’ll practice some moves – some tricky moves.

Round II [DS] – spicy. It wasn’t the stew that added the weight, but the portions of the stew. I ate too much. That was two days ago. Wondering what the weigh in will reveal today. Let’s get to the training.

AM-X 51 minutes – various, including savasana, leaping lizards & jump lunge squats and calisthenics w/ 8 lbs.

184.6 – 16.7 – 60.9 – 43.3 -  okay, pretty normal rate of change. So let’s not overdo it with food again. Still have more than 3 lbs to get back to where I was. I know when I’m eating too much. I may be able to get a walk in today.

Lunch Turkey burg & spinach.

YMCA – Vanity Day
Walk to the trolly – 20 minutes
The work; Pre-supps – no pre-drink.
Calf raises + skullies [super sets] 5 rounds, various weights & reps.
Smith max 250 [in plates] new start.
Skullies – 30 lbs of weight on ez bar, on the 5th round. I think I can start with about 27 – 30 lbs next vanity day.

Shin Flex – ez bar curls – triceps kick backs: progressed in weight and or reps across these sets. 3 rounds.
60-65 lbs shin flex
EZ Curls 50 – 60 lbs [on bar]
Kick backs 30 – 35 - 40 lbs progressive build, 10 – 12 reps each arm.

Amped for YGX!! Much participation. This usually happens with pre-workout. Cycle was strong also. Wasn’t hungry afterwards – munched on trail mix tho. 2nd shake? Maybe the window is closed. Hmmm good experiment.

Biceps are lean and close to 16 inches (30 ish cms0 – just did a random measure on the left side… flexed.

Workouts have been great, satisfying and no soreness. Must be doing something right. This body is working more efficiently and effectively than 10 years ago, although I was pushing more weight off of my chest [ but not pulling as much off the floor] but that’s the only metric that I can recall being better. Don’t know if I could’ve pumped iron and taught 2 movement classes back then.

Oh, I did do the second shake. No need for dinner, just snacked on trail mix, ACV and early to bed. I have no problem going to bed before 2200. I may write about that later.


42115 [Tuesday #307] – Wake up… good sleep, but sore after yesterday’s activities. Left shoulder needs strengthening. Probably not a good idea to advance in 5x5 shoulder related stuff. (Military press & bench) – we’ll see what tomorrow brings. Toes are blistering again. More care. Mannie peddies maybe?

Montage workout the AM – with the 8s. Not very energetic following yesterday’s activities. Opted out of k-bell swing and shoulder stressing stuff. Just TGX today, no lifting. Weight gets progressively better, but still in the red:

183 – 17.1 – 60.9 – 43.1 – 2.52:1 – Good – or they used to be, but unacceptable now. Ha, I love progress.

Round I: [NFB] – at wake up. That was cool. Still a couple of days (at least) til I get back. I think I’ll break into the 170s during this 90 and into the 15% BF range [I’m making a daring prediction. Who says I’m not optimistic?] Yes!! Make it so.

Bkft: t-burger, 2 eggs, peppers, etc.

Round II: [NF] – Lunch 86% Park’s, mostly meat and greens and cabbage, no cheese.
Round III: [NF] – pre-session, supps & drink. It was a great finale. Cheese wedge between sessions. No one for Aqua.
Thought about lifting – but didn’t, so far.  Chill at home, tea and nuts, chlorella and ACV. Nod.


42215 [Wednesday #308] – Wake up, push through the AM-X, trying to get used to the 8s. was feeling low-energy, then realized the extra weight is the thing. [Overcome it]. Will be in jersey over the weekend, but should be able to get something in, both Saturday and Sunday – but a Sunday break day will be okay too. Oh yeah – the morning cup. I rarely mention it, but I have a cup of tea every day after the morning workout.

Weigh in: 184 – 17.1 – 60.6 – 43.1 – one lb. up – same digits, same ratio. Stew and egg for breakfast. Just one spoonful… don’t be scared, be disciplined.

Gig Round I: [NS]  Let’s go back to the pushups. … Shoulder feels better, so far. Maybe enough to get 5x5 at the Y today. 230 lb squats: 105 lbs Military press: 320 deadlift. Get 5 baby!!

Lunch from Park’s 101%, meat salad (chicken, turkey, salmon, I like this mix) w/ avocadoes Power for later!!

Round II: better spacing. More consistent. Chlorella. Got about 70 pushups done – 4 sets. Seems the more I do, the more I want to do. So let’s hit the Y, Then mtg w/ Ant, then aqua. Last day of this… could be.

YMCA (5 x 5) – Not sure which episode this is, but it’s still early.
Squats 230 lbs… done strong! Add weight. 10 – 20 lbs.
Press – 105 lbs… done but weak on the initial press… repeat. Respect the shoulders!!
Dead lift – 320 lbs… 1 x 4 - felt the left grip going. Repeat this one. Still room to improve. (I think I’ll be able to do 5 x 5’s on Tuesdays for a while. [TTS scuedule].
Seaweed after the work.
Lots of bodies in the room today.

No one at Aqua. Off for two weeks. Impressed with my ability to read the signs, anticipate the future and prepare… Pisces Magic.

La Casa – fruit, egg, gainer shake; nuts legumes, tea w/ coconut oil. Second cup, didn’t really need it. I drink tea b/c I’m bored. Need to note and switch this up. Not hungry after workouts. Kind of cool. I get most of my calories before 1500, most of the time. Days off are different. More freestyle eating. Chlorella & ACV before the nod.


42215 [Thursday #309] – Woke up – Round I: [N] – calf cramp [left] woke me from a dream, just before the alarm.

Morning work: upper body warm up with the 8s (shoulder work) K-bell swings + squat thrust countdown 10 – 1 … and beach work with ankle weights.

Weigh in 184 – 17 – 60.7 – 43.1 – slight movement, but in the right direction.

Bjft: beans/hearts, shrooms, spinach, spicy. Small, stew didn’t do damage. Large meat salad same.

Pushups at the gig 4 sets of 25 = 100… first century in a long time.

Breakfast is holding me over well today, so far. That and the H2O – went back to the infused citrus water a few days ago. So let’s get the weight thing right. May have to flatten out my fat weight before I can add significant muscle? This doesn’t sound right. 


Month
Ave. Fat wt.
(in lbs.)
Ave. Muscle Mass
MM:BF ratio
January
34.12
80.51
2.36:1
February
33.59
80.61
2.40:1
March
31.98
79.90
2.50:1
Today
31.33
79.44
2.53:1

Just a quick check to see… or to be sure, I am progressing.

Vanity Day at the Y after work. Must include lunges.

Round III [NS] – Shorty. Lunch, Park’s 86% [I try to get as close to a pound as I can, so I decided to track it.] meats, salad, avo’s… devoured it.

Round IV: [NS] – hit the Y for vanity day. Guns & Gams… maybe light shoulders.

Vanity Day YMCA


First off – so far body seems both willing and able to do vanity after the 5x5… no soreness even 24 hours after.

Chapter I: Calf raises, Skull Crushers, shin Flex. (Tri-sets, 5 rounds)

Calves – on the smith, started where I left off with 230 lbs on the bar, repped as many as possible for 2 sets then added 20 lbs on set 3, and finished with 270 on the bar (6, 45s) so not bad. Maybe go for an even 300 next time, knees, hips, and back are all strong and in the game. Need to get the trapz used to the bar weight anyway.

Skullies – (triceps) – stated with 55 lbs on the EZ curl bar for 2 sets of 10, then upped the weight by 5 lbs and finished with 65 lbs on the bar. It was a bit of a struggle and had to settle for 2 reps on the 5th set.

Shin Flex – about 70 lbs, dumbbell, 5 sets of 15 – 25 each. This was leisurely.

Chapter II: 3 sets of 3 exercises. Pullovers, Flies

Pull overs – (triceps/chest) started with about 70 lbs and repped out 12… too light. Upped itto 90 and got an 8 and a 7… perfect weight.

Standing EZ Curls – (biceps) 65 lbs on the bar, 6+6+8. I have to be aware of the inner elbows. They did okay but I felt the strain. Tried not to rock back so much. Arms are still strong.

Bent flies – (balancing on one leg) 25 lbs. 6 on each side, set one. The balance didn’t turn out so well, but the following sets I got a 6 and an 8… on one leg (shaky). There’s a lot of room for improvement.

Chapter III:  Upstairs

Lunges – 40 lbs. 3 x 10
Cable crosses – 50 lbs x 10 – upped to 60 x 6 +8 (60 is the weight).
Straight Arm pull downs – (on the lat machine) 45 x 12 too easy. 60 x 6h + 6 a bit easier.
Dumbbell curls – 30 lbs. slow 3 x 12



Done… no time limit. Pre-supps, No drink.
Had the post gainer/fruit/egg drink. Need to get more eggs next week.
Haven’t had peanut butter in a while. I wonder if this has benefitted me or not. Chlorella and ACV before bed, a few slices of cheese, and little nut snacks before bed.


42415 [Friday #310] – It’s another red zone day. But this week will reset the average. I’m supposed to be an observer more than a controller. I still don’t really know how ‘I” got last week’s results. Oh well… keep doing what ya do and see what happens.


42515 [Saturday #311] – 185 – 17.3 – 60.5 – 43Not much of a change really. 2 rounds – one over night, that’s new. [HNS] – AM movement, balance and opening joints – 21 minutes.

Woke up, thought about a snooze, but no time. Travel day. Can’t really blame the stew – this is the end of this session. No place to train, but maybe yoga.

Round III: [NS] – Parkwood diner, Maplewood, NJ, sausage and eggs.

This will be a break/cheat day, but the body can handle it. I’m always curious about the results of such behaviours.

Small celebration for the Bulls with the Fram in Brooklyn. Meat, cheese, rice crackers, Corona [1 each], peach tart and champagne – it stuffed up my right nostril. Funny and fascinating how our life styles have “matured” changed, evolved… but matured is the best word.
End of Session 22 – It was the best of sessions and the worst. We broke some records at the beginning only to end with a week in the red. We will have to turn this trend around!!!

Because of a better than expected week, this week’s Red Zone +182.9, 16.6% BF & <60.9% H2O, 43.2% Muscle & 2.60:1 MM:BF ratio – higher standards this week. Let’s meet the challenge!!


Day
Sunday
4-19
Monday
4-20
Tuesday
4-21
Wednesday
4-22
Thursday
4-23
Friday
4-24
Saturday
4-25
Ave.
Weight
185.6
184.6
183
184
184
184
185
184.3
Body Fat
17.4
16.7
17.1
17.1
17.0
17.1
17.3
17.1
H2O
60.4
60.9
60.6
60.6
60.7
60.6
60.5
60.6
Muscle mass
42.9
43.3
43.1
43.1
43.1
43.1
43
43.1
Ratio
2.47
2.59
2.52
2.52
2.54
2.52
2.49
2.52

Weight gain/loss table: we are almost done with this Boot Camp Year. I am still amazed at how much weight I have gained, and I imagine if I didn’t keep active. Despite exercising nearly every day… I have still gained weight… less than two pounds, but see for yourself.

Session
Gain
(lbs.)
Loss
Net
Total Gain
Tot. Loss
Total
I
9.0
6.0
3.0
9.0
6.0
3.0
II
4.0
6.5
-2.5
13
12.5
0.5
III
7.5
8.5
-1.0
20.5
21
-0.5
IV
7.0
6.0
1.0
27.5
27
-0.5
V
5.5
6.0
-0.5
33
33
0
VI
3.8
6.0
-2.2
36.8
39
-2.2
VII
6.3
7.5
-1.2
43.1
46.5
-3.4
VIII
6.8
6.2
0.6
49.9
52.7
-2.8
IX
1.8
1.2
0.6
51.7
53.9
-2.2
X
1.0
0.8
0.2
52.7
54.7
-2
XI
4
3
1
56.7
57.7
-2.2
XII
3
1.2
1.8
59.7
58.9
.8
XIII
5.2
5
.2
64.9
63.9
1
XIV
8.3
7
1.3
73.2
70.9
2.3
XV
9.7
7.8
1.9
82.9
78.7
4.2
XVI
7.8
9.3
-1.5
90.7
88
2.7
XVII
8.2
5.6
2.6
98.9
93.6
5.3
XVIII
2.3
4.8
-2.5
101.2
98.4
2.8
XIX
2.9
4
-1.1
104.1
102.4
1.7
XX
4.4
4.2
.2
108.5
106.6
1.9
XXI
3.4
4.6
-1.2
111.9
110.6
1.3
XXII
6.4
6.0
.4
118.3
116.6
1.7

Weight, body fat and muscle mass… and new muscle mass:body fat ratio. I am going for 3:1 and aiming for 82 lbs. of muscle and wondering how long that will take and if it’s possible. Very slight movement in the averages this session; the results of an extremely good week.
 
Week of
Body fat
H2O
MMass
MM:BF
9-13-14
34.5
110.7
78.4
2.27:1
9-20-14
33.4
112
79
2.36:1
9-27-14
33
112.2
79.6
2.41:1
10-04-14
34.3
111.1
79
2.30:1
10-11-14
33.6
110.3
79.4
2.36:1
10-18-14
32.8
110.7
78.8
2.40:1
10-25-14
32.6
111.5
79.2
2.43:1
11-01-14
32.2
111.6
79.2
2.46:1
11-08-14
31.7
111.6
79.3
2.50:1
11-15-14
33.8
111.3
79.1
2.34:1
11-22-14
33.5
112.1
79.5
2.37:1
11-29-14
33.2
112.3
79.8
2.40:1
12-06-14
32.9
112.7
80
2.43:1
12-13-14
34.3
111.6
80.1
2.33:1
12-20-14
33.5
113.1
80.3
2.40:1
12-27-14
33.9
113.7
80.7
2.38:1
1-03-15
34.3
112.6
80
2.33:1
1-10-15
33.9
113.6
80.7
2.38:1
1-17-15
34.1
113.7
80.6
2.36:1
1-24-15
33.8
113.5
80.6
2.38:1
1-31-15
33.9
113
80
2.36:1
2-07-15
33.6
113.3
80.4
2.39:1
2-14-15
33.9
113.6
80.7
2.38:1
2-21-15
33.2
113.8
80.8
2.43:1
2-28-15
33.2
112.9
80.2
2.41:1
3-07-15
32.3
113
80.2
2.48:1
3-14-15
31.4
112.3
79.7
2.53:1
3-21-15
31.4
112.4
79.8
2.54:1
3-28-15
32.5
111.9
79.4
2.44:1
4-04-15
31.8
112.1
79.7
2.50:1
4-11-15
31.8
111.8
79.5
2.50:1
4-18-15
30.4
111.4
79
2.60:1
4-25-15
31.5
111.7
79.4
2.52:1
Ave
33.0
112.2
79.7
2.41:1


No comments:

Post a Comment