Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chapter IV: Spring - Session XXV - 52415 – 60615



Session XXV:  52415 – 60615

So, we’re coming to the end of another exciting, diverse and groundbreaking Episode of Bajai Boot Camp… and yes, I am excited. We start this 25th session on day 339. I’ve gained nearly 125 lbs. this year; but I’ve lost… so far… nearly 130. As mentioned before, can you imagine gaining over 100 lbs. in 339 days… and not losing any of it? It happens. There have been many revelations this year – perhaps not revelations per se, but erstwhile rumors about food, fitness and health that I have come to accept. The biggest being that [strenuous] exercise is not… by far, a major factor in weight loss and overall health. I’ve heard people say that diet is 80% (or more) but up until about 5 years ago, I figured I could muscle my way into a certain physique by simply lifting weights. This seemed to have worked for me some 20 years ago when, at 225 lbs I started weight lifting… only, (or so I thought) -- and dropped 25 lbs. in about 3 to 5 years. If I’d consciously altered and improved my eating habits, I would have lost more, quicker.

The way food and exercise change with the next money-driven fad (not to mention vitamins & supplements) it’s hard to keep track. This is when we go back to basics (at least I do). My research has suggested more soup, more juicing and more shakes. The faster and easier we can digest our food, the more energy we’ll have to be active. The more active we are the happier we’ll be. More fit. More healthy and we’ll live longer. Longevity has replaced being jacked as my number one goal. Fortunately being jacked can help with the longevity process.

Now let’s get on with this session.

52415 [Sunday #340] – Wake up 0400. The Bod is sore! Especially lower back, left side – surprise. I think it’s from the deep squats, but it could be a combination of things. (If I am to adhere to Dr. Bergman’s teachings, the problem is not the lower back itself, but somewhere above in the nervous system. I may need adjustments.) The bod will heal itself. I have to give it time.

AM work was not strenuous. Trying to get 100 reps or twists of everything. Thought sleep was rougher than it was until I realized what I was experiencing was a dream.

Weigh in – 180.8 – 17 – 60.9 – 43.1 – After shower. What? Did I eat that much yesterday? Then realized I’m weighing in earlier than usual. Maybe in a few hours a pound or two will burn off… or not. It could be the extra sleep I was getting on vaykay that kept me under 180. I’m only awake now because I have to be… back to work. It’ll be okay.. it’s Sunday and starting week 11 of the Spring 90.

Round I: [NS] – gig. Catching up on paper work and charts. No tea this morning. Guess I had enough yesterday. I’m not trying to quit. I’m just going to allow it to happen.

Round II: [SS] – I should be doing pull ups today – but I’m too freekin’ sore!!

Lunch – Back to Tootsie’s.. kale, chicken & feta, tomato. 88% first salad meal since I left… about two weeks.

Doing the home thing.. Yogurt, blobs & chia to buck up. 3 pull ups. Bod is sore so most of this stuff will be low weight, high rep and stretching. I need to work on my inversion skills… so let’s get to it then.

Nap – ha ha. I was psyched then went to sleep.

Round III: [NS] – Now what? Tea. I don’t lose today. I can use the rest, or the workout.

Vanity work for the arms. Shadow box, reverse curls, tri-kix w/ ascending loads from 3 lbs to 8s – attempt 100 total curls and kix (50 each). Went to 80 w/ the 8s reverse curls – 100 floor touches and feeling better. Still sore in the glutes – but better. Pipe work too, fwd grip and reverse. Kick backs with the 8s, difficult both side, had to break up the 50.. weaker on the right side.

Hmmm.. some data.

Pounds Gained/Lost by Chapter (Season)
2014 - 2015

Gained
Lost
Summer I
43.1
46.5
Autumn II
21.8
17.4
Winter III
43.8
42.7
Total
108.7
106.6

This data will be presented in the annual report. I find it interesting that I gained and lost twice as much weight in Summer and Winter than in the Fall. Most of the Fall I was doing a 90 Day Fitness thing, so that may account for it. The spring 2015 numbers may support this hypothesis.

Hangin’ out with the Llama. Salmon salad & lots of H2O in at midnight. (Good thing for the nap.)

52515 [Monday #341] – Extra hour of sleep… but not enough (or so it seems at the moment). 180.8 – 17.2 – 60.6 – 43 – I don’t like these numbers and I’m looking for excuses. Sleep & fast makes a difference in the numbers, so which is accurate?

I don’t like being back in the 17%’tile. There are many factors; no ACV or chlorella yesterday; hung out late, no training in the morning, less sleep.. etc. No bouts before the weigh in. this is probably why the digits were better during vaykay.

Made it through yesterday (another factor?) without tea. Not so today… first thing.

Low back/high glute, left. Still sore.. healing & rebuilding. The Body is regulating.

52615 [Tuesday #342] – Slept well despite the low left back... heaing. Little pain at wake up, but it came. It doesn't keep me rom moving, so 30+ minutes of twisting and rotating and stretching and abs work to increase the healing - but it will heal in its time.

AM tea and weigh in 179.8 - 16.8 - 60.9 - 43.2 I thought I'd  wait until the eve for better numbers, but... stay honest and consistent.

One round [NS] - to the gig. TGX today.

Round II: [SS] - Close to normal. Too early to diagnose the back ish. Piriformis? Disc? Muscle strain? Slump test, not much pain... but is the degree of what I'm feeling, pain?

Lunch, Park's 99%. Fish and fowl, greens and cabbage, avocado. YUM!

Round III: [SS] - Wondering about a low back connection, but nothing out of the ordinary is going on.

Close to eliminating SI joint probs, but going to switch up the exercise therapy and look for a chiro.

TUGX was a challenge... low back was sore! But I made it through.

Home - doing everything for the low back therapy I learned on youtube... and more. Heat, cold.. what works - isometrics - press into the floor and pain diminishes. Sleepy though. Had a tea... maybe another.

The pain (low back) kicked in this evening. worked on some moves, stretches - stability - but... to bed early.


52715 [Wednesday #343] – A miserable night of pain, poor sleep.. wake up 0400 evaluate. Probably see the doc today, but do I gig first or straight from home? Leaning towards gig, but it's hard moving.

HEAL BODY!!!

AM work is therapy... as much as I can do.

Opted for more sleep. Sick day. Doc's appt. Less pain it seems.
Round I: [NS]
weigh in  178 - 16.5 - 61.1 - 43.4 -  Let's do breakfast.

Here I am 3 lbs away from my goal and I get low back issues. bkft - egg, spinach, peppers, onions, shrooms.

Doctor's Office BP 145/88   HR 71 BPM

Doc's leaning towards muscular issue, recommends ice and yoga. My kind of guy. Did make "drug therapy" an option. I declined. Stay active, he says, but not strenuous. So the 90 continues, yoga & stretching and icing. 4 Days off.  2 sick 2 rdo. Pretty much all of May I've been off. Sweet!

Body therapy is the order of the day... indeed the next four, I'd say. Then I'll probably take it easy until the end of BBC4 - switch to yoga and running more than lifting. Can always do push and pull ups, biceps curls and bands and other body weight work.

I've iced the back twice - done some twists, yoga moves. Had a meal (t-burg & lentils, been wanting lentils for a while.) The muscle in question hurts most when it's contracted, i.e. back bends, lying flat, cobra and trying to sleep. Pressing the knees inward, isometrically with something in between helps... it seems to neutralize the pain, which, since it's a muscle I should call it soreness, even though it feels like pain.

There's a headache, probably due to the healing process... more tea!! No need to over eat... I'm not burning that much... unless the calorie burn increased to help with the repair process... (no great pain when sneezing.)

Maybe get some chores done tonight. Chills & sweats... working through. wanted something sweet - dried pineapple.. may have to lay off weights for two weeks.

I don't get sick, but I do get hurt! So who takes care of me, then? It's got to be me.

I learn a lot when I get injured - the exercises i picked up at "Youtube University" really help. I realized that isometrically squeezing or pressing into the floor defeats the pain... did I mention that?

Made some juice & therapied. Several times on the incline and decline bench, I iced my back again... and about to call it a night, w/ chlorella and ACV.. broke out in sweats a couple of times, spontaneously it seems (may have been behind the tea or food though.)

Okay day 2 of therapy tomorrow.
Geeeze, more days to count.

52815 [Thursday #344] – Much better sleep than last night. The difference most likely is that I am conscious of what's happening and I've learned some techniques to make rolling over easier. trying my best to will the body to repair itself, but as i think about it, I (ego) don't have to impose any power over "my" body. We are in this together and it's in our best interest to repair this vehicle.

So, up before 0800 - Day 3 of therapy. Hot shower - getting up slow and things are stiff... to be expected.

The throbbing in the muscle is the heartbeat. I took my pulse by counting the throbs (63). I woke with a dull headache - not severe, possibly due to the repair process.

The #1153 appeared in my dream and I've been thinking about La'H big time yesterday. I wonder why. This seems to happen during body repair. Long intro today...

I imagine I can see the pain, or a mark.
weigh in - 177 - 16.3 - 61.2 - 43.5 - fat drops, muscle increases. This is what i want and I get it while I'm injured. No wonder I'm a cynic. This is how superstitions start. 2.67:1

Round I: [HS] -  Must have a strong protein breakfast.. Lamb stew... protein to repair muscle, right? (Maybe the lentils had something to do with the drop, or the turkey patty?) okay, let's fuel up.

"Interesting" twist to this session.

45 - 60 minutes of back therapy, then ice on decline. Then tea. The space is throbbing now. Not sure whether this is improvement or not. This healing biz requires a lot of energy on the body's part. I'll let it (us) do our thing.. and relax.

Sleep/rest therapy - not bad. I sleep/exercise in sets, right side - left side - finish up the lamb stew. More cold therapy... got some sweat going... ice-ice baby - time for tea.

Fat is under 29 lbs (28.85) first time I've seen 28?. But muscle is 77 and I can't lift.. so this is uncomfortable. I'd rather heal though.

More exercise /therapy, left roll was painful. Thigh cramps trying to come... got a bit concerned. Sleeping again. Seems like a message. Iced again, still sore.

No more x-therapy today. Got to take the vits too. Time to reload.

Rounds 2 & 3 [SS] occurred. Good stuff... still functioning.
Dinner- t-burg and kale and peppers and stuff. Pain and throbbing continue. Trust the body... I'm the body too... so trust me. Today is a series of therapy.. eat, ice, heat. rest/sleep and repeat. The healing is not a matter of speed... but the pain... i could do without that. I suppose the bod reserves the pain relieving hormones for when I sleep... good call. Seems melatonin is released b/w 11P and 1A (as if the body tells time... circadian rhythm I guess) in (near) complete darkness. This is probably why i slept so well last night. The body drugged us. (Don't need the Doc's drugs, we make our own.)

Thoracolumbar Fascia... that's where it hurts. I know what to do.
I think I've found the muscle(s) in question.. or maybe fascia. I dl'd a pic so I'll post that when I get back to the blog.

We humans need answers and even if there are none, which there aren't in this case, we make them up. Which is what I'm about to do.

I think the origin of this is the 330 lbs deadlift I did when I got back to the Y and then exacerbated a minor strain by throwing the log around (the one in the first video). Of course this doesn’t mean I'll stop deadlifting or playing in the park - but i won't return to it anytime soon. Good excuse to return more fervently to yoga and possibly (mat) Pilates. Clearly I could use more core stability and strengthening.

Reading and relaxing - BPM 70 - side to side roll, knees bent, pretty good, but not enough to stop the move (1950).

Side to side test (side of bed) - painful areas b/w 10 and 2 o'clock (30-45 degrees each side, more intense on the left.. 10 o'clock.)

Every move is a test. This muscle (or group) affects every move I make. Every step is like an exercise - draw stomach, exhale on the move. It makes a difference.

Goat milk & half and half hot chocolate, and ice back (incline). i don't feel the cold anymore. Let the sleep repair begin. Regenerate 11 months to two years?? Repair, in 4 days??


52915 [Friday #345] – I think I got some good sleep and the back is slowly healing. After the hot shower weigh in revealed - 176.2 - 15.9 - 61.5 - 43.7 MM:BF 2.75:1 - is the body letting go of fat and storing muscle because of the injury - or in spite of it?

AM therapy & ice. I'm hungry, must eat and go out today. I'll have to stop babying the body at some point. The health sites recommended goal is back to "exercise" in two weeks. I hope it is that soon. (Old, young me would try to make it 1 week. The New me has lots of time and values it.)

Round I [NS] -

Bkft - salmon patty, spinach, super spiced up, b/c capsaicin is a vaso dilator and I need blood flow to this area.

Muscle weight actually hasn't changed since yesterday so this is a solid fat drop, in fact I'm at 28 lbs and some change, my goal. I had to get hurt to achieve this. The frickin' irony. This is what I will remember from this.

Round II: [NS] -
Mission accomplished. Made it out of the house and up the El steps. Got the Trans and did 20 mins of exercise/therapy in the park (sun). Hungry again. 20 minutes of sun on my back.

Gainer, fruit, Cr. coco oil, meal shake  BCAA's and siesta time.

Back starts throbbing after I wake. Why? HR goes up and I feel it. Digestion, metabolism, repair. Follow the body's orders. Looks like I have ice burns on my back... not even where the pain is. So much for aesthetics (vid).

This experience will be helpful in the long run. Tendons, ligs are fed by activity more than blood flow. Stay active. Even in slow motion.. rest when needed.

Several therapy sessions today - outside, on the back, standing, incline - I can bounce (or land) on my heels with no back pain on landing. Maybe more stretching later.

Sitting and standing has slightly improved... only slightly. First try at self myofascial release (foam rolling) not at full weight. Bridges, knee squeeze bridges, crunches with swiss ball. Semi-lotus seat w/ rotation.

Chicken broth (early sample from crock pot soup)... pass! Cocoa before bed (Goat milk & half & half).


53015 [Saturday #346] – Last night was an “active” one. Probably went to bed too early and tossed and turned – it didn’t seem as painful. The fact that I could, suggests improvement. I did get some sleep.. I can tell by the dreams (Toy cars).

Standing up is still a bother – today I did some moves on the side of the bed before standing up. I didn’t feel any acute throbbing last night, however this morning I can feel a dull thud. HR seems about standard.

So, right to the AM therapy – (I can still call it cardio I guess, as my HR rises). But this is what I do just to get going – even when I’m not in pain. Hashtag, habit!

I honestly think I’d have missed out on a lot of ‘feeling’ data if I’d accepted pain killers. This would’ve been a whole different document.

Oh yeah, left glute (side) has been compensating – so that area will have to be looked into as well. Will have to bring it back into the game.

Morning therapy: added some light impact. Thumping, up on the toes, down on the heels, this is suppose to help the lymph flow, also good for tendon strength. But I wanted to make sure there was no pain traveling up my back. there is no pain. The most soreness and stiffness comes right after wake up – of course. The least, right after the shower. Back to work tomorrow after 4 days. I think i can call it “intense” rehab/therapy.

All the digits are the same 176.2 – 15.9 – 61.5 – 43.7 – does this mean the body didn’t need any fat for energy in the last 24 hours?  

Bkft chicken soup (crock style) w/ tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, peas and black eyed peas, onions, peppers, spices (cayenne , turmeric…) that anti-inflammatory stuff (ginger). I’ll eat this all week.

On the chance that our injury isn’t the actual cause of the fat and it’s the tweaked diet (soup, shakes, more dairy) it should continue. Perhaps even with some muscle increase. Of course the eight drop started just before Tucson… so it should either continue or bottom out.

Round I: [NS] –

Tried my first jump.. pain going up, but not so bad landing… and tea… slowly starting the day. Do some walking.

Lunch – soup, vits… clothes, chores. Getting more comfortable. Easier standing. YES!!! Just minor… well medium , pain.

Chillin’ chores – standing a while is a bother (but it’s a long while). Standing up is less painful today. Thank BOD!

A few minutes of myofascial release (sock rolling)… amazing results… more of this to come. Probably morning. Can now touch the floor with almost no pain.

I gave myself 4 days. I think I’ll be ready tomorrow.

Rib eye, mushrooms, veggies, dark-n-storm in West Chester (It’s changed a lot since college), passable mix however the bartender decides at add orange wedge instead of lime…. Everybody’s got to put their ‘artistic’ twist on it. Work tomorrow, back is tolerable.

Bed before 2300.

And that’s it for this week. It started off challenging, but then I hurt my back and while I was rehabbing that, I was losing weight.. both fat and muscle… but the fat went faster. Next week? Well by now we know – anything can happen.


I’m not sure how I’m going to keep up.  Last week was ridiculous, again!! Looks like another red week.   Here are this week’s Red Zone numbers +180.6, 16.8% BF & <60.8% H2O, 43.3% Muscle & 2.58:1 MM:BF ratio –this is actually better than last week, but maintaining the weight will be the trick.

Day
Sunday
5-24
Monday
5-25
Tuesday
5-26
Wednesday
5-27
Thursday
5-28
Friday
5-29
Saturday
5-30
Ave.
Weight
180.8
180.8
179.8
178
177
176.2
176.2
178.4
Body Fat
17
17.2
16.8
16.5
16.3
15.9
15.9
16.5
H2O
60.9
60.6
60.9
61.1
61.2
61.5
61.5
61.1
Muscle mass
43.1
43
43.2
43.4
43.5
43.7
43.7
43.4
Ratio
2.54
2.50
2.57
2.63
2.67
2.75
2.75
2.63


Body Fat, H2O, Muscle Mass and the MM to BF Ratio, by Month. This is a more consolidated version of the weekly chart you may be used to seeing. The values represent the average weight in lbs for the given month. Ratio value compares the amount of muscle to 1 lb of fat, i.e 2.33:1 means there is 2 1/3 more muscle than fat. My goal is 3 to 1. (3x as much muscle as fat.)

Month
Fat wt.
Water wt
Muscle wt.
Ratio
Comments
September 2014
33.8
111.5
79.0
2.33
Starting point.
October
33.3
110.9
79.1
2.37

November
32.9
111.8
79.4
2.41

December
33.6
113.0
80.3
2.38
Holiday season. Gains across the board.
January 2015
34
113.3
80.4
2.36
New year’s recovery.
February
33.5
113.4
80.5
2.40

March
31.9
112.4
79.8
2.50
The spring 90 begins.
April
31.4
111.7
79.4
2.53

May
30.6
110.8
78.7
2.57
End of week 11 Spring 90
June





July





August





(To Date) Averages
32.7
112.1
79.6
2.43
Week ending 5-30-15






























53115 [Sunday #347] – Wake up 0400 and got out of bed. Going back to the routine. Starting week 12 on day 78 with exercise/therapy… march, twist, low impact stuff – be patient. Getting better… slowly.

Weigh in 178 – 16.4 – 61.1 – 43.4 – gain expected after last night’s meal. But I also ate more times during yesterday than usual. As predicted – one day these numbers, which were once goals, will be normal… then not good enough. Today they’re pretty good, but I’ve seen 15.9% BF and 28 lbs fat weight… so there have to be new goals. Look out for them.

Not hungry this morn, so, extended the fast til I got to the gig. Pepperoni & cheese & hard boiled egg from Wawa. If I’m strategic I can ease this and the t-mix through the day & grab some soup when I get home.

Round I: [NS] – catching up on paper work. Back is sore – must remember to walk around and take exercise breaks.

Round II: [NS] – Lunch, Tootsie’s 66% - not very hungry, feta, kale, chicken, cabbage.

Made it through the gig – home.. therapy?? Hot day, rain expected. Didn’t need all my lunch. Got some for tomorrow. Weather, exercise and less weight to carry, should reduce my caloric requirements.

Arrived home, relax, self myofascial release (SMR) – low back, upper glutes. Good results. Almost ready to resume body work – squats, pushups, power divers, sun salutations, hand stands, planges.. no weights… (see if I can handle this. That’s the challenge.)

The pain isn’t completely gone, but it has subsided enough to start noticing the soreness (shoulder) that I had before this incident.

Manly Hall suggested that pain has to do with magnetism, in that the pain prompts us to focus consciousness on the painful area in order to help heal it. Good theory, I think. I’d completely forgotten about my shoulder pain or a decrease in ROM while I was dealing with the back and noticed no soreness when reaching for stuff.

But, onward – there is a clean up to do; down the left leg and psoas, once the back pain is a mere mention. Gonna try to last about 10 more days until I get back to pushing (and pulling) body weight, jumping and more dynamic moves. I’d just gotten past 1 mile ‘running’ when this happened… so back to that.

Tonight back to the closing rituals, chlorella and ACV. hot tea gave me a nice sweat. T-storms didn’t come… good stayed in and relaxed anyway.

Oh, no dinner necessary. T-mix, seaweed, H2O, blueberries… let’s stay on top of this weight management. No runaway lbs... G’nite. 
….And Goodbye MAY!

JUNE – the end of the Long Road Back…

60115 [Monday #348] – Better waking today, pretty good sleep. There were dreams and rolling. Gave myself a snooze. The rain came. Got up and went for the morning routine – therapy/stretching. It will be so until the end of the 90.  Day 91 is June 13th. The end of BBC4 is June 18th. I don’t want this injury to dominate the year, even if it punctuates it. There are far better highlights. The irony is – I came into this year of Boot Camp healing from an injury from the previous year. Maybe I’m getting more fragile.

Weigh in – numbers same as yesterday 178 – 16.4 – 61.1 – 43.5 –

Tea after exercise, (hot and humid, but tea).
Round I: [NS] – not ver hungry, but a small bowl of soup I think. Got salad at the gig. I feel the appetite diminishing, or so I think. (There’s rain outside.)

Round II: [NS] – lunch, Park’s 88%

Stretching, twisting and back bending. I need to name this stuff to remember it. Back is behaving. Minor pain at the bottom. TUGX tomorrow – maybe a shake with BCAAs and finish the soup I made this morning. (Shake & soup, happened… no supps).

Closing shop on this day. Got some tasks accomplished. Physically the next few weeks will have to be about opening and flexibility and stabilizing the core, back, obliques, ilio-psoas. Too tight and too weak. Better cobras, back bends and the like. Chlorella before bed. Ciao.

60215 [Tuesday #349] – woke 0400 – back was sore – possible from last night’s work. At some point overnight I felt like I couldn’t move. Anyway AM workout; twisting, kicking and moving the legs, knees up, then to the floor for cat/cow – got 13 – 15 today with intention and good breathing.

Weigh in 178 – 16.3 – 61.2 – 43.5 -  numbers slightly better. Still on the 178 plateau, but this is nothing to complain about. I seem to remember a goal being 175 (+/-3) so I’m at the high limit… however this will make my weight charts kind of boring.

Bkft – chicken soup – minerals and multi
Round I: [NS] – before heading to the gig.
Gig: Round II: [NS] - routine, ritual
Lunch, Park’s 91%
Round III: [NS] – Things getting back to normal. I may start pushups and pull up training next week. Oh, I thought that was the plan anyway.

Although I’m not supposed to be lifting weights – it sure felt good doing so. Even the 10s at TUGX  - I think we had a good time.

Scored some fruit at Fresh grocer up by TU and yogurt w/ fat. Whoo haa… Now I’m sleepy. What did I eat? Yogurt and blueberries, seaweed and will probably have tea and hit some back strengthening moves and foam rolling before bed. (which I didn’t get done, for some reason).

Not feeling hungry at this time [1930] – but maybe later. Just a final note.. it’s cold now.. after being hot the past few days.

60315 [Wednesday #350] – Pre-woke... cramps trying to come (left). Wake up, snooze, exercise, twists, cat/cow - got 20 today, I want to see and feel improvement. SMR with the sock - The back is in better shape. The soreness is low and left... practically on the waistline. ROM is returning.

Round : [NS] weigh in 179 - 16.6 - 61 - 43.3 - the numbers are up - this is the usual after TUGX, but I haven't figured why yet. No dinner last night - just snacks... maybe that shot of the Blue stuff had something to do with it.

Bkft - chicken soup
Gig - Trying something different today. fruit and yogurt over trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, etc.) Of course I may pick up more t-mix fixin's today. Nothing on today's agenda. I may try a run after work. Uniform of the day, but no backpack... or maybe, not a heavy backpack. I'm trying to hold out another 7 days on full blown exercise. Maybe a sun sal or two, or back bridges and such, this eve.

Hungry today. Fruit experiment (and yogurt, egg, cheese stick & 3 slim jims) not working.. maybe body & mind is used to the mix. Will reload today.

Round II: [NS] - The nature of the day - cold, dreary and affecting my vibe and maybe hunger too. Got too many questions about the why "things" are happening. I need to consciously stop this. Just let it do what it do... Not enough training is making my mind wander. Today is a week since seeing the doc. I can start push ups... after lunch.

Lunch Park's - 94% - It's the weather. Better pep it up when I get home.

Home. Round III: [SS] - sore in the upper bod and forgot I worked out yesterday. and now... oh, yogurt & tea.... chillin' but.. to the park...

First two miler of the year. Good breath. Slow pace 31 minutes total. Gear light pack, boots, wt gloves... not bad. No soreness in the back - anywhere - so, I can pick up the run again. Log it... 2 miles.

Gainer shake after, and BCAA  before. Body work for the back - more variety. Gettin vaccine educated while passed out on the floor. Bowl of chicken soup - activity requires fuel. Don't short change the Bod.
Chlorella and ACV.

Summary (A habit to get into for BBC5)

It's been a week since the back episode and to "celebrate" I jogged two miles, none stop, 31 minutes... a good 1/2 workout, but the run is 3 minutes a mile slower than... I can't even remember. The back is not 100% so still no lifting heavy things. The soreness is front and back ilio-psoas and upper inner thigh. More and higher kicking. Log (document) pushes and pull tomorrow and got a market walk ahead. Refueled the t-mix stock.

60415 [Thursday #351] – Extended everything - sleep fast, decent sleep. Hip/back stiffens up over night, but it's cold. Probably not helping. Maybe a lil heat before sleep.

Morning exercise: Twists, leg lifts, twists... Really need to get the rotation lengthened.. cat/cow 25.. arms sore - but that's where I have to increase my stamina. 1 set of pushups... balanced leg swings. I went at least 30 minutes, forgot to check the time. Working towards lotus too.

weigh in - 178.2 - 16.3 - 61.2 - 43.5 - numbers are good. Going back in the direction I want. I was nervous for a bit. 173 - 178 is a good zone. By next Boot Camp, I want to keep in this zone. Exception? If muscle wt. takes me beyond 178 I'm not mad. That would ean fat weight is below 25 lbs (new goal.)

P.O.D. - Hike to market, maybe peanut butter? It's been a long time. Will it be a welcomed return or a reject?

Bkft - chicken soup - done! The legs don't have that familiar day-after-running - feel in the upper thighs. Maybe it's just a matter of time. Or maybe those legs are stronger.

Hike to the Shop Rite (1.5 miles) and back (with a heavy pack.) Felt that and spend the day chillin' w/ The Boondocks. (Yogurt after the walk).

Lunch T-burg & 2 eggs.

Maybe a run this eve? No bouts yet. 2x tea on the day. Probably another brewing. Lazy at the chores... too... it'll kick in at some point. Just being mellow. Got much food in the house. Maybe shopping?

The market walk seems faster even with a heavy pack (maybe 20 lbs) I'm thinking of some kind of training this afternoon... maybe just pushups and squats, b/w chores. I've given myself another week w/o lifting.

Wrapping up the day, I feel like I ate a lot - more in than out. Perhaps more good stuff means not a lot of leftover (ha ha). "Cobra" pose is better - the back is better over all - tonight will tell - chlorella. Skipped the ACV - had yogurt w/ fresh strawbs. Tomorrow could be completely different. Ciao.

60515 [Friday #352] – woke… or the alarm goes off at 0400… to the aroma of the lamb stew/soup – got up for a taste, then got back in bed for a snooze and heat pad on he lower back/left. The usual. The main culprit is going to take longer to heal.

AM calisthenics are not very dynamic – still healing. Lots of twisting and rotating and knee lifts and lots of reps… 50s, hundreds, neck work, cat/cow (25) keeping track of these because I want to get better and do more. Floor touch was tough. Back is still stiff in the morning.  BTW the sleep pai seems to be resting – not so bad when I move/shift.

Weigh in – 178.2 – 16.4 – 61.1 – 43.4 – These digits are only okay (now) however, considering I’m not doing heavy training or supplementing, ritualistically --- but maybe --- that’s what was keeping the weight on.. hmmmmm.

Round I: [NS] – rain today – but I’ve got something to do. Will report when done.

I could blame the weather for this blah feeling… but it could be something else. Yeah – I still want answers, even if I have to make them up.

Protein gainer shake & fruit because I felt hungry, but don’t think I should’ve been (had a bowl of lamb soup earlier, needs salt). I’m guessing this lack of energy comes from not exercising vigorously. This will end this weekend. Back to YGX on Monday… maybe a run or a long walk today, who knows? Maybe I’ll stop at the Y.

Round II: [SS] – quick turnaround – playing catch up perhaps?

First training with Jerry in Alden today. 20 minute walk to the trolley. Stopped off for supplies at Green House – filled the backpack – got new sneaks. Walked home loaded down again. Two breakfasts filled me up. Yogurt w/ sunflower seeds and tea for a snack. I should try some pushups and reverse work this afternoon – before heading out

Pushups, Swiss ball work. To Tim’s art opening. Seems like we don’t do the things anymore that made us tight. But it’s okay. I saw this coming.

London Grill – mussels and love stout, dark beer. Back home and straight to bed, no AVC, no chlorella. G’nite.


60615 [Saturday #353] –– wake, double snooze – soreness is (or seems like) psoas now – tolerable, but annoying. Slept prey well too.


Morning exercise @ the end of week 12, end of Session 25. Gonna ease out of BBC4… 30 cat/cows, arms are holding up – twisting with the 3s – shadow boxing (3s).

Round I: [NS] – good start to the day.

Weigh in 179.2 – 16.8 – 60.9 – 43.2 – expected after dining out and no workout. Glad it’s only a pound.

Bkft: went for the liquid breakfast today. Gainer shake, egg, cr. Fruit, coconut oil. I may do this 2 – 3 days next week, to test results. This is the last day that I won’t unintentionally be lifting weights. I’m going to finish this week and prepare for 30 days of muscle building focus. Not going to change the diet/strategy. AM work will be body work (maybe) pm weight training. Classic stuff like chest back legs, arms and such 3-4 sets of 10 – 15 old school. That’s in BBC5 – Survival Protocol.. I should make a poster. 

Nostalgia... South Philly 2007... Good times.
Gig: yogurt t-mix, H2O at the gig. 

Round II: - [N] - no comment necessary. 
Round III: - [N] - Getting dreary out. 

Liquid breakfast seems to have worked out, maybe a little better than a bowl of soup. Sesame seeds are in the t-mix now, so more omega 3s. 

I feel like I am moving through space easier now, faster. Even with the backpack. I will presume - less weight, more strength, minus injury/pain = more energy. Lets not falter. BBC5 will take me close to my 20th anniversary of the fitness lifestyle - let's make some positive gains. Keep experimenting and stay free of injuries. I also want to be healthy when I leave my gig. That would be a blast. Could I possibly leave better than when I arrived?

Let's tackle that question in the next book. 

Proper home workout.... it kind of just happened and I went with it.


  • Knee raises - 100 total
  • Standing leg curls - 100
  • Lateral steps /w red band 2 sets, 30 total, maybe
  • Straight leg kicks, almost toy soldiers but not quite. Need to get those legs up.
  • Shadow boxing 100s with 3s and 5s (+gloves) then 70 with 8s +gloves!! 
Other stuff, wall pushes, and like that. Good sweat... balance and core stuff  just casual. Keep going. Food after this? Not feeling hungry yet... [17:40]. Oh yeah, burpees are back & the back is cooperating. Besides cat/cow for breath and reps I'm trying a pipes plank (video maybe?) This is tough, my core will have been rocked and well developed by the time I get this right. No time limit, just don't give up. I need upper, upper body development; shoulders, trapz, upper pecks. Must get bigger and stronger in these areas during BBC5. 
Lamb soup/stew - yummy, better than the first bowl. Always opens up my sinuses. Ok, whatever I do next is off the books. I'm going to wrap this day up. Charts are below. Session 26 is a shorty... BBC5 starts on a Friday and this whole mess starts again. I'm starting out in a much better place (being optimistic here, anything can happen in 12 days - it could be a lot of "good" positive stuff) that in previous years. 


I thought for sure last week would be red, but we pulled it out. If you give yourself lofty goals, you will achieve them. That’s what last week’s performance has taught me. This week’s standards will be even tougher, so let’s see…  Here are this week’s Red Zone numbers +178.4, 16.5% BF & <61.1% H2O, 43.4% Muscle & 2.63:1 MM:BF ratio –I’m happy that these are the numbers to beat, I’m not as confident, but I’ll keep doing what I do and evaluate the results..

Day
Sunday
5-30
Monday
6-01
Tuesday
6-02
Wednesday
6-03
Thursday
6-04
Friday
6-05
Saturday
6-06
Ave.
Weight
178
178
178
179
178.2
178.2
179.2
178.3
Body Fat
16.4
16.4
16.3
16.6
16.3
16.4
16.8
16.5
H2O
61.1
61.1
61.2
61
61.2
61.1
60.9
61.1
Muscle mass
43.4
43.4
43.5
43.3
43.5
43.4
43.2
43.4
Ratio
2.65
2.65
2.67
2.61
2.67
2.67
2.57
2.63


Weight Gain/weight Loss Table by Session. The turn-around in the last two sessions has been awesome. Down a net 5.3 lbs on the year. woot woot!!

Session
Gain
(lbs.)
Loss
Net
Total Gain
Tot. Loss
Total
I
9.0
6.0
3.0
9.0
6.0
3.0
II
4.0
6.5
-2.5
13
12.5
0.5
III
7.5
8.5
-1.0
20.5
21
-0.5
IV
7.0
6.0
1.0
27.5
27
-0.5
V
5.5
6.0
-0.5
33
33
0
VI
3.8
6.0
-2.2
36.8
39
-2.2
VII
6.3
7.5
-1.2
43.1
46.5
-3.4
VIII
6.8
6.2
0.6
49.9
52.7
-2.8
IX
1.8
1.2
0.6
51.7
53.9
-2.2
X
1.0
0.8
0.2
52.7
54.7
-2
XI
4
3
1
56.7
57.7
-2.2
XII
3
1.2
1.8
59.7
58.9
.8
XIII
5.2
5
.2
64.9
63.9
1
XIV
8.3
7
1.3
73.2
70.9
2.3
XV
9.7
7.8
1.9
82.9
78.7
4.2
XVI
7.8
9.3
-1.5
90.7
88
2.7
XVII
8.2
5.6
2.6
98.9
93.6
5.3
XVIII
2.3
4.8
-2.5
101.2
98.4
2.8
XIX
2.9
4
-1.1
104.1
102.4
1.7
XX
4.4
4.2
.2
108.5
106.6
1.9
XXI
3.4
4.6
-1.2
111.9
111.2
.7
XXII
6.4
6.0
.4
118.3
117.2
1.1
XXIII
2.4
3.4
-1
120.7
120.6
.1
XXIV
3.2
8.2
-5
123.9
128.8
-4.9
XXV
5
5.4
-0.4
128.9
134.2
-5.3

It looks like everything is going lower except the Muscle mass to fat ratio. This has inspired me to do another 30 day experiment. More details in the blog. I’m happy with the numbers over all. 

Month
Fat wt.
Water wt
Muscle wt.
Ratio
Comments
September 2014
33.8
111.5
79.0
2.33
Starting point.
October
33.3
110.9
79.1
2.37

November
32.9
111.8
79.4
2.41

December
33.6
113.0
80.3
2.38
Holiday season. Gains across the board.
January 2015
34
113.3
80.4
2.36
New year’s recovery.
February
33.5
113.4
80.5
2.40

March
31.9
112.4
79.8
2.50
The spring 90 begins.
April
31.4
111.7
79.4
2.53

May
30.6
110.8
78.7
2.57
End of week 11 Spring 90
June
29.4
108.9
77.4
2.63
To Date 6/6/15
July





August





(To Date) Averages
32.7
112
79.5
2.43
Week ending 6-06-15


END OF SESSION 25

No comments:

Post a Comment